Are you better off not carrying your permit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked patrol for 15 years. It never made a bit of difference to me if someone told me they were armed or had a permit (no permit is required in Colorado when in your vehicle). I just assumed everyone I contacted was armed. My advice is don't lie, but don't volunteer anything. The more you volunteer the more chance you have of opening a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. It's along the same lines of NEVER volunteer to allow an officer to search your car. I don't care how law-abiding you are and I don't care that you have nothing to hide. It's just a bad idea. If an officer wants to know if you're armed he/she can ask. It's pretty simple.

It drove me up the wall when I had a trainee and s/he would ask someone, "Do you have any illegal guns or drugs on you or in your car?" A law-abiding citizen lawfully carrying a gun could honestly answer "no" to that question. So if you want to know if there are any guns in the car, legal or not, ask if there are any guns in the car. Many people are honest and law-abiding right up until the point they're not. So words mean something.

Sorry for the thread-jacking...

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked patrol for 15 years. It never made a bit of difference to me if someone told me they were armed or had a permit (no permit is required in Colorado when in your vehicle). I just assumed everyone I contacted was armed. My advice is don't lie, but don't volunteer anything. The more you volunteer the more chance you have of opening a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened. It's along the same lines of NEVER volunteer to allow an officer to search your car. I don't care how law-abiding you are and I don't care that you have nothing to hide. It's just a bad idea. If an officer wants to know if you're armed he/she can ask. It's pretty simple.

It drove me up the wall when I had a trainee and s/he would ask someone, "Do you have any illegal guns or drugs on you or in your car?" A law-abiding citizen lawfully carrying a gun could honestly answer "no" to that question. So if you want to know if there are any guns in the car, legal or not, ask if there are any guns in the car. Many people are honest and law-abiding right up until the point they're not. So words mean something.

Sorry for the thread-jacking...
That is some sage advice right here.

TANSTAAFL

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread, renewed my permit and glad I did, thought I would only need it for Travel. Nice to know there are severel benefits to having one that extend beyond Constitutional Carry (however there is another debate, it is Constitutional to carry everywhere, even in a bar, school or government building!)

Latest posts

Top Bottom