Are you better off not carrying your permit?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilitantBEEMER

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is correct - it's why I renewed mine.

Per the SDA license: Having a license permits having a loaded and round chambered long gun in a vehicle. Without it, it cannot. I have no idea if constitutional carry trumps this.
That was addressed and kicks in 11/01/2021 under constitutional carry.

ssgrock3

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think this is correct - it's why I renewed mine.

Per the SDA license: Having a license permits having a loaded and round chambered long gun in a vehicle. Without it, it cannot. I have no idea if constitutional carry trumps this.
that by itself makes getting a permit worth it. traveling heavy in an rv or with family with a long weapon is far better than a handgun and all the heavy weapons are 1000 miles away.

James Abram

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Does bring up a few questions about which takes precedence. When you get your permit you still have to qualify for revolver or semi-auto (I know because my wife recently got hers) and they teach you that you have to inform the officers. With the constitutional carry laws does that negate the rules associated with your license?

I agree with you though, If I am stopped I would notify the officer just for the sheer fact that I don't want them to notice it during the interaction and for things to escalate, even if it wasn't required.
You legally DO NOT have to notify the officer if you are carrying, permit or not, however I believe it’s a good idea (and I teach it so) to let them know you are carrying a weapon.
Also, CC alows you to carry ANY legal handgun with legal ammunition in any legal place. It’s up to you to do the research and find out the laws as to what’s “legal”.

JoeUSooner

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have had a license nearly 15 years now, and will keep renewing it. I don't plan on many vacations away from Oklahoma, but the license will be handy if I do leave the state. During my three traffic stops within that 15 years, I handed both drivers license and handgun license to the officer at the same time... and in all three instances, the officer smilingly said he appreciated that knowledge (and the situation proceeded very smoothly from that point). I can find no reason for me to discontinue the handgun license.

sherrick13

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1290.14 says if you qualify for a permit with a revolver, you can carry a deringer or revolver but not a semiauto. If you qualify with a semiauto, you can carry anything. My wife qualified with a revolver. I guess she could go qualify with a semiauto but I still have my questions. If she leaves the permit at home, is she then good to go with everything? Interesting info about liquor establishments.

One thing about permits and licenses....thinking big picture.

You ARE permitted or licensed. Even when the actual documents are not on you. There might be a technical violation for that, but you don't get rid of permitted status just because you leave the card at home.

Any cursury investigation will discover that permit. Leaving it at home wont change a bureaucrat or politician's vengeful action if they go that route.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if your carrying and have a permit, don't we still have to notify the officer if we are stopped. I always give them the permit and license.
No duty to inform. Don't ask, don't tell. If I get pulled over for a traffic infraction then my gun has nothing to do with my interaction.

Also to the OP why would you leave it in the car when you go into a liquor store?

jackary

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep mine in my wallet right next to my drivers license. I guess my question would be why would you qualify with something that is going to limit your carry options, and why not put down Semi auto, Revolver, and Derringer when you renew your permit?

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I keep mine in my wallet right next to my drivers license. I guess my question would be why would you qualify with something that is going to limit your carry options, and why not put down Semi auto, Revolver, and Derringer when you renew your permit?
When I got mine, semi-auto qualified you for all 3. I actually called OSBI to verify this at the time.
:drunk2:
___

Latest posts

Top Bottom