Are you ready?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rustytigwire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Vehicle based on personal use and locale.
I might drive e something to okc and back commute but second vehicle needs certainly to be utilitarian truck or other. Ya know pull the boat, drag a tree.
Libs in the city can ride those damn escooters go nowhere do nothin.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What eludes me is why they went to using computer chips in vehicles anyway. Does it improve gas milage or reduce emissions? Performance perhaps? Swampratt's '57 Chevy seemed to run pretty good with any chips.

ForsakenConservative

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The fudge-packing-morons couldn’t ensure the supply of natural gas (critical to preservation of life when it’s freezing outside) when it was freezing outside. Next they couldn’t provide electricity because they couldn’t access their natural gas stores. So they “had no choice“ but to spend billions on spot market supplies (who seemed to have no trouble with their control valves....), billions we serfs will be repaying for the next decade. Makes me wonder which politicians profited there.... Perhaps the same ones promoting (ahem, requiring) EVs?
(Before you start in on me, a great many of us live in areas where propane/oil or anything other than natural gas is not permitted by code or HOA covenant.)
What ever happened to the T. Bone Pickens plan? Wasn’t that supposed to save us all? Clean, efficient, domestically produced, environmentally friendly, supported by extensive existing infrastructure.... Oh, right, I remember now. He lost his a$$ in natgas futures when huge reserves were accessed after he bought when the price was high. I wonder if his company/kids were the sellers of the crappy valves, then happened to be ready with “spot market priced” fuel to save us all again.... I bet their books are back in the black now....

Rooster1971

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What eludes me is why they went to using computer chips in vehicles anyway. Does it improve gas milage or reduce emissions? Performance perhaps? Swampratt's '57 Chevy seemed to run pretty good with any chips.
Not sure what @swampratt uses for an ignition system but he might have switched to an electronic ignition which uses a module which is a chip, not sure I’d call it a computer chip. GM started using it in 1975 on the entire line. Less maintenance than points. Seeing his posts, he’s pretty old school and may still use points. Which work just fine and have for many years.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The time may come when you do not have a choice, like when the government said that everyone has to convert over to digital (flat screen) TV's whether they wanted to or not because ALL broadcast stations were being mandated to shut-down analog broadcasting.

Of course we all know that happened ONLY because our benevolent leaders wanted to make sure we all had a nice picture to watch :blush:
You got a converter box and kept the old tv.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the above, you can get more hp because you can be far more aggressive with timing etc. Sensors will detect knock and define a bit.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seldom travel more than 25 miles away from home and then only several days a week so a 400 mile range charge is okay with me. I think electricity will be cheaper than gasoline in 2 years.
Also, the tax breaks make it affordable for me while I cannot afford a new gas powered truck. I expect it will be the last vehicle I ever purchase
Your going to pay the government a tax for your electric vehicle.
Your not going to pay a road use tax in fuel with EV so it’s written into the infrastructure bill to tax the miles you drive. The technology to identify mileage already exists.
those living in the cities using public transportation will have to pay more to get around.
See how lying biden is going to tax the poor and middle class? Jump the transportation taxes.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the above, you can get more hp because you can be far more aggressive with timing etc. Sensors will detect knock and define a bit.
Onboard computers also report mileage, vehicle health like tire pressure, braking, acceleration, etc to the auto manufacturers that is quickly passed on to the government at their request.
almost all vehicles are currently competent to transmit data wirelessly.
As an example, I pulled into a dealership a week ago, gave them my VIN number, and they diagnosed my vehicle 100 yards away without a physical connection.
the best is yet to come. 😉

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, there is a chip shortage, because they use freaking old chips in cars so no chip mfg will build out more capacity to build old tech.
It’s certainly not cutting edge technology in the vehicle semiconductors currently used, but the shortage is more than likely industry self induced.
In March 2020, the global pandemic prompted automakers, suppliers and car dealerships to close down. The economy went into a recession.
The automakers, who have experienced previous recessions, quickly canceled orders for parts with computer chips, thinking auto sales would nosedive, said Michelle Krebs, executive analyst for Autotrader.

Sales of new cars did plummet initially, but quickly rebounded with pent-up demand and 0% financing offers. Also, dealers figured out how to sell vehicles online, offering home pickup and delivery.

So when the factories restarted, the stronger-than-expected demand for new vehicles outpaced production and has yet to catch up.
https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2021/06/15/car-chip-shortage-2021/7688773002/

Latest posts

Top Bottom