Argentina Dove

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I got so desperate once I used three Kotex pads wrapped in electrical tape as a shoulder saver. It was ugly but it worked great.

You would think someone would invent an aftermarket recoil buffer kit.
Folks that shoot 300(or more is not uncommon) rounds of trap per day are usually doing it with a gun that has been fitted to them and weighs about 10-12lbs, so really recoil isn't an issue. My daughter usually shot in a tank top too with a SKB O/U. From what they've said on their Argentina hunt, they shoot light loads, low velocity 20g or 12g out of beretta semi autos. They do offer O/U though if a shooter wants to go that route.

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMG_4666.jpeg

Palomas Grande
Periquito

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
500 shells a day was about right.

You could shoot 5000 a day if you wanted to pay for it and your shoulder could stand it.

Incredible trip. Been on a lot of hunting trips. None better than this. You can’t describe the numbers of paloma. The video doesn’t do it justice. That’s a 20 second clip, and it goes on like that for hours and hours. We had 1 guy in our group that shot 250 shells in less than 30 minutes.

Food everywhere was fantastic. Lodge was crazy on the amounts of meat. Peso was exchanging at 400+ to 1 USD. I had a 28 oz bone in rib eye in Buenos Aires that was 2400 pesos. It was 6 bucks US. A beer would run ya 900 pesos. Less than 2 bucks. We ate and drank like sailors on shore leave in BA and Tucuman coming & going to lodge and spent less than $250 each.

Bottom line, if you want to go and this is on your bucket list, get busy and go. It is a large time.

Last edited:

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Geez, with the clouds of birds do you even need to aim at that point? Just point and shoot. That’s crazy.

Glad you enjoyed your trip! I would like to go to SA at some point, but for astronomical reasons.

Yes, you do have to aim, but doubles & triples with a single shot are not uncommon. Amazingly enough, a couple of times during hectic stretches when I would just shoulder it and pull the trigger at a thousand bird cloud because my brain was on overload, I wouldn’t even draw a feather.

Honestly, the most difficult part was picking a bird out of those huge groups. I was a lot better at groups of 20 or less. Much bigger than that and it got pretty hectic and hard to stay on a single bird. Hard not to get the giggles, even at my age, when 1500 birds pass over head in 3 seconds and you shoot 4 times and don’t pull a feather.

The field assistants had counters hanging around their necks and kept count of downed birds. I had a couple of sessions where I killed well over 200 with 250 shots. The last morning I was dogass tired & my shoulder felt like hamburger and I killed barely over 100. I think my count that morning was 123.

I shot about 70% for the trip and right at 1000 birds.

Latest posts

Top Bottom