Arkansas outlaws left lane camping

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Oklahoma made that a law some years back also. They still camp in it. Be nice if the cops actually did something about it in either state
The last time I read Oklahoma's law, it said you're supposed to drive as far to the right as practicable and not impede the left lane, which is what the law previously was in Arkansas. Arkansas's new law, as described in the video, actually takes it a step farther, prohibiting driving in the left lane (under most conditions) unless you're overtaking and passing.

So, basically, in Oklahoma, you're supposed to drive in the right lane, but you can drive in the left lane as long as you move over when someone comes up on you. In Arkansas, you cannot drive in the left lane, you can only use it momentarily for passing, avoiding road hazards, etc.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The last time I read Oklahoma's law, it said you're supposed to drive as far to the right as practicable and not impede the left lane, which is what the law previously was in Arkansas. Arkansas's new law, as described in the video, actually takes it a step farther, prohibiting driving in the left lane (under most conditions) unless you're overtaking and passing.

So, basically, in Oklahoma, you're supposed to drive in the right lane, but you can drive in the left lane as long as you move over when someone comes up on you. In Arkansas, you cannot drive in the left lane, you can only use it momentarily for passing, avoiding road hazards, etc.

I'm not sure of the details of Oklahoma's law, but the only place I've seen signage regarding impeding the left lane is on the interstates. And, even then, when we take I-44 into Oklahoma City from the south, I don't recall seeing signs about "impeding" in that stretch, and certainly not inside the city itself. I may have to look more when we happen to be driving in and going up the Hefner Parkway. That is multiple lanes (3 or more) and folks certainly aren't keeping to the right lane except to pass.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the details of Oklahoma's law, but the only place I've seen signage regarding impeding the left lane is on the interstates. And, even then, when we take I-44 into Oklahoma City from the south, I don't recall seeing signs about "impeding" in that stretch, and certainly not inside the city itself. I may have to look more when we happen to be driving in and going up the Hefner Parkway. That is multiple lanes (3 or more) and folks certainly aren't keeping to the right lane except to pass.

Actually, there is signage that says per law, stay right unless passing. You see it on the start of the turnpike from both directions and I think after the Welliston entrance.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is the law:

Okla. Stat. tit. 47, § 11-309

Here is the text of the law:

Whenever any roadway has been divided into two or more clearly
marked lanes for traffic, the following rules in addition to all
others consistent herewith shall apply.
1. A vehicle shall be driven as nearly as practicable entirely
within a single lane and shall not be moved from the lane until the
driver has first ascertained that the movement can be made with
safety and then given a signal, not less than the last one hundred
(100) feet traveled by the vehicle, of his intention to change lanes.
2. Upon a roadway which is divided into three lanes, a vehicle
shall not be driven in the center lane except when overtaking and
passing another vehicle where the roadway is clearly visible and such
center lane is clear of traffic within a safe distance, or in
preparation for a left turn or where such center lane is at the time
allocated exclusively to traffic moving in the direction the vehicle
is proceeding and is signposted to give notice of such allocation.
3. Upon a roadway which is divided into four or more lanes, a
vehicle proceeding at less than the maximum posted speed, except when
reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, shall not impede the
normal flow of traffic by driving in the left lane. Such vehicle
shall be driven in the right-hand lane except when overtaking and
passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when
preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road
or driveway.
4. Official signs may be erected directing slow-moving traffic
to use a designated lane or designating those lanes to be used by
traffic moving in a particular direction regardless of the center of
the roadway and drivers of vehicles shall obey the directions of
every such sign.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There’s a few sections of I 35 and Indian Nation that I can’t drive in the right lane in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck, because the roads are so rough. I will move over if someone comes up on me, but I generally drive fast enough that doesn’t happen.

My gripe is 18 wheelers trying to pass each other. Those SOB’s will run side by side at 65 mph for miles before the one can finally build up enough steam to get around the other. :censored:

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
was going to comment about the very post just above this. People riding in the left lane or swerving into the opposite lane on two lane roads because they bought a dumptruck and don't like how it rides when it hits a bump.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
People always seem to make this way harder than it should be. If you're in the left lane and someone comes up behind you please move over if at all possible. Let them pass and then move back over if you want. Don't just stay there and try to prove something by telling your passengers "I'm doing the speed limit they can wait". And for the love of Pete . . . don't move over to the right lane and then floor it.

The way some folks drive astounds me . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom