Armed citizens aid police.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What I'd like to know in this situation is how the cops were able to determine the firearm-wielding neighbor was a "good guy." Unless they had the perp in full view during the entire chase and observed the neighbor coming out of his house to hold the perp until the cops could catch up, how do they know the neighbor isn't an accomplice or something? I'd be hesitant to come out of my own house with a firearm while such a chase was going on, for fear I'd get shot in the confusion.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What I'd like to know in this situation is how the cops were able to determine the firearm-wielding neighbor was a "good guy." Unless they had the perp in full view during the entire chase and observed the neighbor coming out of his house to hold the perp until the cops could catch up, how do they know the neighbor isn't an accomplice or something? I'd be hesitant to come out of my own house with a firearm while such a chase was going on, for fear I'd get shot in the confusion.

you are exactly right, that is why in my CCW class we were told by a cop NEVER to get involved because you could be shot by a cop....

SgtMojo67

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It worries me that you think it is appropriate for a citizen to exact some kind of justice or revenge or punishment on someone else.

Thank goodness you realize that you are ranting. I don't know how long you have been a cop or what has happened to you or any of your fellow officers. But I do know it's a rough job ... I can understand where you are coming from, but it is not your responsibility to judge whether someone can turn their life around or not ... Don't take responsibility for the entire world. No good can come from it.

Yes I am an officer and I have been in Law Enforcement for roughly 14 years. When I talk about felons, I'm talking about your rapist, robbers, murderers, etc....VIOLENT FELONS....Not your felony DUI, check fraud, Larceny......I treat all my prisoners with respect. If you start out as an a-hole, you have no where to go. I think if things were a little like the old days, there would be less crime. I whole heartedly believe some criminals need a good butt whooping.....especially your young ones before they get out of hand.....AND I'm not judgemental of these people. I was simply stating in MY experience as an officer, your more violent felons will never turn around. Because they have spent most of their lives in some sort of detention facility and that is all they know.....:bighug:

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yes I am an officer and I have been in Law Enforcement for roughly 14 years. When I talk about felons, I'm talking about your rapist, robbers, murderers, etc....VIOLENT FELONS....Not your felony DUI, check fraud, Larceny......I treat all my prisoners with respect. If you start out as an a-hole, you have no where to go. I think if things were a little like the old days, there would be less crime. I whole heartedly believe some criminals need a good butt whooping.....especially your young ones before they get out of hand.....AND I'm not judgemental of these people. I was simply stating in MY experience as an officer, your more violent felons will never turn around. Because they have spent most of their lives in some sort of detention facility and that is all they know.....:bighug:

I had to go check and make sure GC wasn't using a pseudo-screen name. LOL We don't watch cop shows here anymore because I can't hear what is going on on the TV from the running diatribe sitting next to me ... :mad::wink2:

I gotta say I understand completely. GC tells people all the time that I used to be a liberal ... then I married a cop and all that changed. :wink2:

The guy he had that day was 30 years old and had spent more than half of his life in some kind of facility -- not half his adult life -- half is ENTIRE life. He almost seemed relieved that day that he was going back in. (In all honesty, if the woman he had with him had been my S/O, I might have been glad to have an excuse not to be around her too! :screwy:) But seriously, I feel bad for some folks ... it's not like they ever really had a chance, but then I know what I came from and where I was when GC snagged me. Ultimately it comes down to personal responsibility ... and some people just don't ever seem to get that.

I will be the first to admit that I couldn't do ya'll's job ... I was just about 45 minutes into his shift that day before I was promising all kinds of unspeakable things to him if he would just swing back by the house and drop me off ... nothing doing he said ...

If I were a cop half the people he made contact with that day would have been in jail and the other half would have been eating lead ... OMG ... there are people out there who live a lifestyle I simply do NOT understand. And every single one of them speed, drive around with expired tags and let their kids flop around in the car unrestrained ... :wink2:

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yeah I wouldn't run out of my house with a firearm like that unless there was an immediate danger to someone I need to protect.

There was a case a while back where an old guy in a bad neighborhood had people dealing drugs on his front lawn. He would go get his pistol and wave it around and they would run off.
One day some new guys were dealing on his lawn.
He got his pistol and waved it at them and they both drew from concealment and shot him down! He shot back some but didn't hit anything.

Turns out you shouldn't wave a pistol at undercover cops dealing drugs in your yard.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't run out of my house with a firearm like that unless there was an immediate danger to someone I need to protect.

There was a case a while back where an old guy in a bad neighborhood had people dealing drugs on his front lawn. He would go get his pistol and wave it around and they would run off.
He got his pistol and waved it at them and they both drew from concealment and shot him down! He shot back some but didn't hit anything.

Turns out you shouldn't wave a pistol at undercover cops dealing drugs in your yard.

more people need to hear stories like this, so they fully understand how important it is to make a smart decision about carrying... thanks for sharing.

criticalbass

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So many bleeding hearts for the criminals.

This thread shows that some folks just want to be judge, jury, and executioner in the absence of much evidence.

That's against the law that everyone is so excited about being broken.

So by the "logic" behind these "kill the crooks," proponents requires that the crook killers, having violated the law by killing the crooks, should themselves be killed.

These "Death Wish" concepts show either a desire to stir up discussion on the internet, or a seriously flawed view of the realities of our society.

Labels like "bleeding heart" are just a way of trying to "flame" someone. There aren't many "bleeding hearts" on this forum.

I guess my take is that some folks (wannabe crook killers) seem to live in a fantasy world, and that when they act on those fantasies they are almost always dismayed that there isn't really anyone else in there with them.

If you act on your desire to shoot someone because he committed a crime, you will probably ruin your life, and probably the lives of those close to you if there is anyone close to you. CB

GlockCop

Sharpshooter
Reaction score

Turns out you shouldn't wave a pistol at ANYONE in your yard.

There, fixed it for you.

You wouldnt happen to have a link for this story would you? I would be interested in reading more about it. Thanks.

TheSanDiegoKid

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't ask the state to give me their permission to exercise my 1st, 2nd or any other bill of rights!!!
Fixed it for ya

Me neither, but I can't seem to find the part about shooting unarmed people, let alone kicking the crap out of them just because they are a SUSPECT in a crime, remember that thing about innocent until proven guilty?

Latest posts

Top Bottom