Armed When Answering Door???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

30BulletHoles

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No one said you can't carry on your property (licensed or not), and holstered is what I've been suggesting all along.

However, brandishing doesn't necessarily mean pointing a weapon at someone. All it takes is displaying it in a threatening manner, hence my suggestion to be polite when armed.

I really don't understand the need for bravado when armed. But again, maybe that's just me.

I agree, as I said anyone who has been to my door knows that I answer it armed. I never insinuated anything about acting hostile.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Police: Man shot by cop after answering door holding handgun
www_trbimg_com_img_5682674b_turbine_os_lakeland_officer_shooting_20151229_001_750_750x422_.jpg

Home on Turtle Rock Drive where officer shooting took place Monday night

December 29, 2015

Officer shot man who allegedly opened front door holding a gun, officials said

A Lakeland police officer shot a man who allegedly opened the front door holding a handgun, leaving the man in critical condition, according to officials.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-lakeland-officer-shooting-20151229-story.html

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Police: Man shot by cop after answering door holding handgun
www_trbimg_com_img_5682674b_turbine_os_lakeland_officer_shooting_20151229_001_750_750x422_.jpg

Home on Turtle Rock Drive where officer shooting took place Monday night

December 29, 2015

Officer shot man who allegedly opened front door holding a gun, officials said

A Lakeland police officer shot a man who allegedly opened the front door holding a handgun, leaving the man in critical condition, according to officials.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/breaking-news/os-lakeland-officer-shooting-20151229-story.html

THAT is a good answer to my original question, and sure trumps the hell out of a trip downtown. Sad.
I think obviously identifying who is at the door (LEO or other) is key to next steps.
It seems my logical choice to prevent even the appearance of "brandishing" is to carry holstered, if conditions warrant.
SDA instructor suggested "gun storage location for quick access" in close proximity to door.

nofearfactor

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A neighbor across the road apparently had had their car broken into one Saturday night, it was a bit before midnight. I have a gate you have to get thru to get up my drive and down to my place. I was watching TV with the surround on really loud and there was a very loud rap-rap-rap. I cut the sound with the remote and grabbed the G17 paperweight holding down the table which was my go-to at that point, shotgun was nearby the front door, other pistols and a rifle were here and there (I have em out until I go to sleep). The G17 wasnt l&l tho so I had to rack it as I was going down the hall to the foyer but didnt realize that I was so close to the door when I did because I suddenly heard the guy yell "COWETA POLICE DEPARTMENT". Alarm wasnt armed anyways being so early so I got the light on and locks unlocked pretty quick and the door open but I did not put my gun down until I stepped out and saw it was really the law. I then told him I was going to set it down on the bench on my porch and we stepped away to talk about the shiite across the road. Talked about if I heard or saw anything. Nope. All good, he left.

THIS is exactly how things went down for me. The cop had apparently heard me rack the slide (my big dumb mistake had it been a bad guy) on my way to the door and he quickly and loudly identified himself BEFORE I was able to get the door open. The old as shite Glock 17 is usually not in Con1 just sitting on my coffee table, it is just sitting holding down magazines from floating. Not making any Glock safety jokes, it just wasnt in condition one at that time. It was also late at nite- just before midnight on a Saturday night- not the usual time for any out of nowhere not have called first visitors especiially when you live just outside the city limits. I had other guns in various places on the way to the front door, especially my CC XD that was in condition 1 on a small table where I always put my wallet, keys, phone, etc. Also why it wasnt the Wagoner county sheriff along with the Coweta city cop answering the burglary or robbery call or whatever it was across the road I dont know. Also him being alone didnt spell big trouble to me either. All I do know is that he knew I was armed BEFORE I came to the door obviously and he did not step back and have his weapon drawn or anything to show me that I had done anything wrong when I got the light on and door open, so he obviously wasnt worried about getting shot knowing he had just rapped on someones door really late at night. The police had never been to our home once, in all the years I had been out here anyways. At any rate, I stepped out to see if it was actually a cop (I did looked thru the peephole when I got the light on and saw his uniform, but bad guys are known to wear fake cop outfits too so it could have been an ambush by him and who knows who else) and told him that I was goiing to put the pistol on the bench on my porch and I didnt clear it or anything and he didnt seem at all nervous about that. With that said, the gun was down at my side the entire time before I opened the door per my usual routine and after I opened the door, I damn sure didnt come out with it pointed. What could I have done different besides NOT letting the person on the other side of the door hear me rack the slide? Which in my case ironically triggered the officer to yell his presence. And he was only there to see if we had been burglarized and to see if he could check around for any signs of me getting robbed or if the perp(s) were still in the area. He had no other reason to be on my property, especially after having had to park at my gate down at the road to even get up to my front door.

Last edited:

Burk Cornelius

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
THAT is a good answer to my original question, and sure trumps the hell out of a trip downtown. Sad.
I think obviously identifying who is at the door (LEO or other) is key to next steps.
It seems my logical choice to prevent even the appearance of "brandishing" is to carry holstered, if conditions warrant.
SDA instructor suggested "gun storage location for quick access" in close proximity to door.
You can't "brandish" in your own home

posted via Tapatalk

Old rookie

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
EXACTLY!

And that cop that shot a guy in his own house needs some legal advice also.
posted via Tapatalk

Depends on if homeowners' actions/possessions were interpreted as menacing or threatening....I think.
I would never want to be the guy that forces a LEO to be making that decision while walking in on an unknown situation.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Depends on if homeowners' actions/possessions were interpreted as menacing or threatening....I think.
I would never want to be the guy that forces a LEO to be making that decision while walking in on an unknown situation.
He came there himself, for no reason. I call this a BS shooting and a travesty

TSQUARE

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In the last 15 years or so I never answer the door without a firearm of some sort. Usually it's my glock 19 either holstered or in hand behind back, depending on what time it is. When I am at home, unless I am in bed, it's holstered on my hip. I've had some concerned looks in the past, but never an issue. Usually it's under my shirt when holstered. Sometimes it's a 380 in my front pocket. Regardless, I never answer the door without at least one firearm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom