Armscor Rock Island M1911A2 Model 59002 10mm

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Any opinions on this 1911? I have been a Glock fan boy but when I saw this particular gun in 10mm and 16 round capacity, I was astonished. Supposedly Armscor Rock Island has "tamed the beast", where the recoil similar like to a 9mm but more snappy of course, supposedly. Price tag I think is anywhere from $690-$1000. I would like to use this gun as my night stand gun and outdoor use. Also, has a lifetime warranty anything breaks which is nice. This would be my first 1911 10mm and I'm used to a Glock 26 9mm, how would recoil be compared to my Glock 26 and I shot 147 +P Federal HSTs. I am worried about reliability, also the hand grip safety, along with thumb safety. Let me know your opinions.

This is the particular one I am thinking about:
http://grabagun.com/armscor-island-52009-m1911-a1-fs.html

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The 1911 doesn't tame the 10mm to an near equivalent of a 9mm, especially under hot loads. It's very manageable but the comparison to a G26 is apples to oranges. Honestly, I wouldn't be a guinea pig for a 10mm night stand gun from RIA. 10mm is rough on the 1911 and personally would upgrade to a different maker. If you do insist on the RIA then get some good mags and make sure it's sprung correctly for the load you intend to use for self defense.

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The 1911 doesn't tame the 10mm to an near equivalent of a 9mm, especially under hot loads. It's very manageable but the comparison to a G26 is apples to oranges. Honestly, I wouldn't be a guinea pig for a 10mm night stand gun from RIA. 10mm is rough on the 1911 and personally would upgrade to a different maker. If you do insist on the RIA then get some good mags and make sure it's sprung correctly for the load you intend to use for self defense.

This will be my first 1911 and its a 10mm, What would you suggest as in other brands, I am only going with RIA because the warranty is lifetime and also its a 10mm in a great price range. Plus I wanted to see what is the hype of a 1911 variant pistola.

Shootin 4 Fun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

We have one at the shop with several hundred problem free rounds through it. That's not much of a testimony, but I'd have no problem carrying the gun.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This will be my first 1911 and its a 10mm, What would you suggest as in other brands, I am only going with RIA because the warranty is lifetime and also its a 10mm in a great price range. Plus I wanted to see what is the hype of a 1911 variant pistola.

Keep in mind this is a doublestack gun, so mags are likely to be tricky too. Quality 10mm double stack mags will be expensive. In terms of what I would suggest would probably be a lot more than you'd want to spend. Something in a 2011 frame is what I would suggest if double stack is really imperative, again though... very pricey. If 10mm is what you've got to have you might want to look at a single stack RIA 10mm or upgrade to a Colt Delta Elite.

Or if you really just want to experience 1911s, just keep it simple stupid and go with a Ruger, Sig, Springfield etc. Lots of good 1911s out there in .45.

D V US

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
GET IT! GET IT! GET IT!
I have this same exact gun only in .40 and I love it. I use it in IPSC matches and it has never let me down. The mags are the same for the .40 and 10mm so all I need to convert over is a barrel and heavier spring. This gun when loaded is heavier than a normal 1911 so recoil will not be an issue, not that 10mm is as bad as people think it is. Honestly, a Beretta 92 with +P is way worse than my Witness 10 and full power loads. Anyway, back to the Rock Island, I highly recommend it. Very reliable, accurate, and mags are easily available through R.I.'s sister corp. Advanced Tactical, and they aren't expensive either.
https://advancedtactical.com/products/.40sw/ria-full-size-1911-a-2-magazine-high-cap-P16-40sw-10mm

Last edited:

YukonGlocker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is a doublestack gun, so mags are likely to be tricky too. Quality 10mm double stack mags will be expensive. In terms of what I would suggest would probably be a lot more than you'd want to spend. Something in a 2011 frame is what I would suggest if double stack is really imperative, again though... very pricey. If 10mm is what you've got to have you might want to look at a single stack RIA 10mm or upgrade to a Colt Delta Elite.

Or if you really just want to experience 1911s, just keep it simple stupid and go with a Ruger, Sig, Springfield etc. Lots of good 1911s out there in .45.
Good info here. I'll add: if you want a 10mm 1911, I'd suggest looking at the Dan Wesson line. The Colt Delta Elite doesn't have a fully supported barrel, so it isn't the best choice for full-power 10mm loads (but is fine with standard loads).

tou860

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Top Bottom