Army plans to ditch the M4/5.56 for new rifle and larger rounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm just going by reports several years ago, where our men would pick up enemy AKs because the reliability and firepower was preferable in combat.

There are reports of that. I've met some guys who came back from 'the sandbox' who said each weapon had it's benefits and downsides, but that the AK-series was overall better. Particularly if one lacked the logistical support provided by a well-supplied and organized military like the U.S. has. If you're on your own and operating independently, the AK is better. that's just anecdotal though.

I also think this post is illuminating.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/17...ounds__and_how_they_handled_at_our_range.html

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My POF AR15's are well under MOA, closer to half MOA.

My Saiga AK 74 was a 2MOA gun.

Do AK's run better with no maintenance? Yes. Will they ever be as accurate as an M4? Never.

It's not unusual to take an AR or M4 out to 850 yards with match ammo. Most AK's are 300-ish yard weapons.

AK is a big step down from an M4. And the US military does not lack for support and supplies like the Taliban.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My POF AR15's are well under MOA, closer to half MOA.

My Saiga AK 74 was a 2MOA gun.

Do AK's run better with no maintenance? Yes. Will they ever be as accurate as an M4? Never.

It's not unusual to take an AR or M4 out to 850 yards with match ammo. Most AK's are 300-ish yard weapons.

AK is a big step down from an M4. And the US military does not lack for support and supplies like the Taliban.

Depends on the AK-74 and the ammunition being used, as well. It's not a marksman rifle and Human Error at a range beyond 300 yards will probably have more effect than the difference between accuracy on an AK-74 vs M-16 variant.

Most M4s are also 300-ish yard variants. How often will the chance to engage an enemy at 850 yards accurately come up? Unless you're a designated marksman, not much i'm imagining.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not bad I just never shoot it , kept for SHTF situation where we might be scavenging ammo from our enemies having one in 5.56 and 7.62 covers both bases.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It's not bad I just never shoot it , kept for SHTF situation where we might be scavenging ammo from our enemies having one in 5.56 and 7.62 covers both bases.

our most likely enemies will probably be using 5.45 i'd imagine. otherwise we'd be scavenging military/LEO stocks, 5.56. that's just what i think. anyway. I figure if the ammo is that available, i'd probably be scavenging the weapons, too.

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
our most likely enemies will probably be using 5.45 i'd imagine. otherwise we'd be scavenging military/LEO stocks, 5.56. that's just what i think. anyway. I figure if the ammo is that available, i'd probably be scavenging the weapons, too.

They really love those rounds in the middle east

Latest posts

Top Bottom