Army plans to ditch the M4/5.56 for new rifle and larger rounds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
An article I read suggested taking the best features of the M27 and applying that to the M4 and M16 - the biggest factor being better accuracy, better barrel life, and better performance at higher rate of fire. Most of this being due to the high quality cold hammer forged barrel with a free floating handguard. Retrofitting existing M4/M16 rifles with a barrel/handguard would be relatively cheap especially vs a new weapon system.

I don't even see much reason to leave the 5.56 NATO round. Maybe the 7.62 NATO change for something lighter/faster like the 6.5 calibers.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're the biggest gorilla in NATO. Whatever we want we can have.

I also think something in 6mm or 6.5mm is the ideal tradeoff. 6.5G is stellar in long 24" barrels reaching out well past 1000 yards and even smoking the 7.62X51 for LR work, but I don't know how much better it would than 5.56 be in a 14.5" carbine barrel, probably not much if any. A 6 or 6.5mm with a VLD type bullet loaded to decent but somewhat modest pressure would be plenty good.

Frederick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We're the biggest gorilla in NATO. Whatever we want we can have.

I also think something in 6mm or 6.5mm is the ideal tradeoff. 6.5G is stellar in long 24" barrels reaching out well past 1000 yards and even smoking the 7.62X51 for LR work, but I don't know how much better it would than 5.56 be in a 14.5" carbine barrel, probably not much if any. A 6 or 6.5mm with a VLD type bullet loaded to decent but somewhat modest pressure would be plenty good.

5.56 is great against unarmored terrorists, but if we get in a shootout with more advanced forces, I feel the 5.56 will leave room to be desired.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I always thought .243 Winchester would make a great military service round.

Heavier bullet than 5.56mm with better ballistics and with the proven 7.62mm case and magazine designs.

tomthebaker

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Heavier bullet than 5.56mm with better ballistics and with the proven 7.62mm case and magazine designs.
Well, If you are going to use the 7.62mm case, there's 6.5 Creedmore. But the extra bulk and weight are considerations.

soonerwings

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Wasn't the Army considering the .243 at one point? The years are starting to blur together.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Top Bottom