Army worms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned using parasitic nematodes which can quicly kill the Army worms in all its developmental stages but are harmless to domestic animals and children, unlike a lot of the chemical eradication methods.

Got a link to a product?

Gideon

Formerly SirROFL
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a huge flock of birds in my backyard implementing this exact plan this afternoon. It had to be over 200 black birds of some sort.
The only thing more of a nuisance than a bunch of worms is those damned grackles.

1629258169659.png

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So the company came out and laid down some granules and said it will kill them all. Hopefully it does. He said they are even having a hard time getting stuff to treat these suckers.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Interesting that everyone seems to be having a time getting chemicals. Appears to only be the north side of OKC though as midwest city had a lot
of them sitting out just a couple of days ago. This is as of one minute ago. Looks like some people would be better off to take a drive.
1629420350316.png

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The bastards got me again. Sonsabitches.

I been working at it pretty hard too. Trimming trees. Watching it grow and fill in. Checking it every morning to see how the bare spots were coming along. Transplanting sprigs & plugs into the sparse areas. Watering every morning and evening.

I walked the yard Wednesday nite. Nothing. Didn't see any damage. No worms. Looked really close. Had them before wanted to catch them early. Nothing.

Went out Thursday just after daylight to check the rain gauge, and I've got a tennis court size hole where the grass used to be. SOAB.

On the way out the drive, I noticed the large patch of fescue at the end of the drive under the giant Hackberry tree. Gone. G O N E. Had walked it Wednesday night as well. Nothing Wednesday nite, gone Thursday morning.

Waited until the rain stopped and sprayed most of the yard, which took four of the 40oz concentrates, and they still die easy, but damn they are voracious little bastards.

This will be the last year I wait to see them before I spray. First week of August from now on I'm spraying with the 90 day residual soil stuff.

I think the bermuda will come back. The fescue is going to have to be re-tilled and reseeded. I was going to get a 75lb bag of fescue seed this weekend to over seed with after Sept 1. I guess I'll be replanting instead of overseeding.

Work at it that hard, and start to see the results you were hoping for and poof, gone overnight. Kinda felt like a sucker punch to the gut.

NationalMatch

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Another victim here. My lawn was looking pretty good what with the extended Spring weather and all the rain. But Monday (8/16/21) I was watering potted plants in the back yard and saw those little alien suckers all over the grass.

They looked just like those tent worm critters I battle every fall.
ETC1_LW-1024x768.jpg

But then I read an article on channel 2 news talking about the problem, so the next day I called Arrow and they sent a fellow out on Wednesday.

My grass is Bermuda so we'll see if it bounces back. The grass in the back yard is gone. Unless you're of the school "brown is a color, too!"

Latest posts

Top Bottom