Around 40 guns a month are reported stolen from Tulsans' cars, according to the Tulsa Police Department.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I get what you're saying, but in the off-chance that I actually go somewhere that won't allow me to carry I still want my gun going to and leaving from there. Also, what if you are going other places that do not infringe on your right to carry? You'll want it with you then right, I know I do.
We can always ask the "What ifs" all day long. Sometimes we just have to say that we sure hope the "boogyman" doesn't get us before we get home from the ball game.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
We can always ask the "What ifs" all day long. Sometimes we just have to say that we sure hope the "boogyman" doesn't get us before we get home from the ball game.
eh, i've been carjacked before and the only thing that saved me was the fact i had a knife that i could reach.

i'm sure a gun would have also worked.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Guess that works for you and that's fine. Not a chance I'm willing to take though. But, just so we're clear I wasn't talking about just some event like a ball game, which I don't go to anyway. You said "If you are going to an event or location where you know you cannot be carrying". That encompasses much more than a ball game. Whatever the case you do what you feel is right for you, that's your right and I fully support it.

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
that being said, i DO know people who have a "truck gun" and just leave a cheap pistol in their vehicle overnight. and that gets stolen....a lot. does seem dumb to me.

Gadsden

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
that being said, i DO know people who have a "truck gun" and just leave a cheap pistol in their vehicle overnight. and that gets stolen....a lot. does seem dumb to me.
Yeah, I don't do that either. If for some reason I can't get my vehicle in the garage at night my gun comes in with me. Not nearly the same thing as leaving it at home because you are going somewhere where they don't allow you to carry and you're afraid the "boogeyman" might break into your vehicle.

Schlafftablett

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are drastically overestimating the effort most thieves are willing to go through. Watch videos of ACTUAL thieves or ask cops about the reality of these thefts. You’ll find that the OVERWHELMING majorly are purely crimes of opportunity and or simple smash and grabs. Literally almost any level of security up to and including locking the doors or glove box would prevent a theft. They might have a screw driver or a pry bar or a friggin plasma cutter but probably not.

I also find the “if all it takes is a screw driver why bother” attitude to be funny and about what I expect. Listen, I’ve been in the firearm/security industry over 25 years at this point and I know full well, dare I say far better than most, what security is afforded by lock boxes/safes etc. Is a $25 dollar Snap Safe going to stop a determined criminal? No. Not even remotely but it will certainly slow them down and MAYBE deter them. With that said, I’ve also personally seen thieves defeat an $8,000 Amsec home safe. It probably took them the better part of 4-5 hours and the use of most every tool in the home but they did it.

When you’re talking about predators, It’s all about making a harder target. Predators are opportunists and the more points you can stack on the “con” side of the “pro/con” list when they’re deciding to commit a crime or make the determination on how hard to press it, the better off you’ll be.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If I know I am going somewhere that wont allow me to carry in, I secure my firearm in my vehicle before I get there. We have all of our bags/items of value out of sight before we pull into the parking lot so we can hop right out and go in.

I dont have to make my stuff impossible to steal, I just have to make it less obvious/more difficult than the person next to me.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think some of you guys are drastically overestimating the effort most thieves are willing to go through. Watch videos of ACTUAL thieves or ask cops about the reality of these thefts. You’ll find that the OVERWHELMING majorly are purely crimes of opportunity and or simple smash and grabs. Literally almost any level of security up to and including locking the doors or glove box would prevent a theft. They might have a screw driver or a pry bar or a friggin plasma cutter but probably not.

I also find the “if all it takes is a screw driver why bother” attitude to be funny and about what I expect. Listen, I’ve been in the firearm/security industry over 25 years at this point and I know full well, dare I say far better than most, what security is afforded by lock boxes/safes etc. Is a $25 dollar Snap Safe going to stop a determined criminal? No. Not even remotely but it will certainly slow them down and MAYBE deter them. With that said, I’ve also personally seen thieves defeat an $8,000 Amsec home safe. It probably took them the better part of 4-5 hours and the use of most every tool in the home but they did it.

When you’re talking about predators, It’s all about making a harder target. Predators are opportunists and the more points you can stack on the “con” side of the “pro/con” list when they’re deciding to commit a crime or make the determination on how hard to press it, the better off you’ll be.

I don't necessarily have the "why bother" attitude, I'm just providing the point that there's a bit of irrational perception with all of this.

If my car is locked am I negligent in keeping a firearm in it? To what level of security would satisfy those that would say yes?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom