Around 40 guns a month are reported stolen from Tulsans' cars, according to the Tulsa Police Department.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't necessarily have the "why bother" attitude, I'm just providing the point that there's a bit of irrational perception with all of this.

If my car is locked am I negligent in keeping a firearm in it? To what level of security would satisfy those that would say yes?

The idea is to not be in the habit of leaving unsecured firearms inside a vehicle when the vehicle is to be unattended for long periods of time and in places viewable or accessible through casual observation.

I’m of the opinion that storing a firearm inside a vehicle should only be transient ie: only when it’s absolutely necessary for me disarm while traveling away from home. When it is necessary for me to disarm I will use a lockable storage device that is hidden inside the vehicle from casual observation and isn’t the center console, glovebox or door pocket. The idea is defense in depth not to recreate Fort Knox.

This should really go for leaving any valuable items inside the vehicle and not just firearms.

trekrok

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where are some hypothetical good places to secure a gun in a vehicle? Could probably put a secure box in my console, but that would be the first place they go and they'd undoubtedly destroy it. No room under my seat. No room beside my seat. Securing it is easier said than done.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where are some hypothetical good places to secure a gun in a vehicle? Could probably put a secure box in my console, but that would be the first place they go and they'd undoubtedly destroy it. No room under my seat. No room beside my seat. Securing it is easier said than done.

You aren’t wrong, it can be inconvenient to find a suitable location to discretely store a firearm. My assumption is that people breaking into vehicles are going for the low hanging fruit not to toss the entire vehicle. They probably aren’t interested in breaking into anything that is going to keep them around the vehicle for more than a few second unless they have some assurance they can do so without drawing attention. So, a security device and location just needs to buy time as a method of discouragement and to protect the property inside. Just be creative.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up in rural areas/being on and around farms etc… it’s common for a shotgun, or a 30/30, or revolver, etc… to be kept in trucks. I see where you guys are coming from, but the thieves are indeed the problem, chill with all the victim shaming.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I keep firearms in my vehicle all the time, never losing one, but I have lost a couple dozen from my home.
The 40 guns a month lost from vehicles in Tulsa pales in comparison to what is lost in home burglaries during the same time period.

HiredHand

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Growing up in rural areas/being on and around farms etc… it’s common for a shotgun, or a 30/30, or revolver, etc… to be kept in trucks. I see where you guys are coming from, but the thieves are indeed the problem, chill with all the victim shaming.

It’s not victim shaming. We discuss ways to avoid being a victim of crime all the time and learn from the mistakes of others.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It’s not victim shaming. We discuss ways to avoid being a victim of crime all the time and learn from the mistakes of others.
Fair enough. This thread has been fine. Although in other threads when this topic is discussed here, I see a lot of bad attitudes towards people who leave a gun in vehicles. I often keep a gun in my vehicle. I’ve never had a firearm stolen.

HillsideDesolate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
yeah the lockpicking lawyer on youtube makes even the most expensive finger print "only" locked gun safe look like childs play. he opens them all in seconds, we're talking things that sell for $200 and up and call themselves "blah blah safest toughest lock blah blah". literally seconds. even police locks.

even better, if it's a case like literally ANY of these, they could just.....take the gun AND the case....

even the fancy police one just unbolts. any number of tools could just take those two bolts off, then you could grab the whole rifle and the lock freely.

"To guard yourself against thieves who slash open suitcases, rifle through bags and smash open boxes, one should strap the bags and lock them. The world at large knows that this shows wisdom. However, when a master thief comes, he simply picks up the suitcase, lifts the bag, carries off the box and runs away with them, his only concern being whether the straps and locks will hold!"

- Chuang Tzu

Latest posts

Top Bottom