Arrow/Bolt Question for the Archery Guys and Gals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a quick question regarding the seating of a broadhead and/or field tip. I have some micro diameter shafts with outserts. They aren’t matching as far as diameter of each. They sit flush against the “shoulder” of the outsert, but that’s about it. I’m wondering if this will cause an issue? If so, what kind of issue will it cause? I took a picture to help explain. Thanks for any help.

b8ce19c7e6b4bb527e2cf5f975f892dd.heic

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Only issue is pulling it out of the target you shoot it into. the lip will hang up ..So push it through and untwist the tip then pull the shaft out of the target and twist the tip back on.
That is about all I ever seen come up when mine were like that.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What swamprat said. Shouldn’t matter when going through a deer. You could try a deep six or micro diameter broad head if the look bothers you.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I was just worried about function. Hanging up in the targets makes sense. The picture is of new bolts that I bought. I have this same brand of arrow (Victory) and didn’t run into this with the arrow outsert. Sounds like I’m good to go. Thanks again!

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As they already mentioned, the broad head will go through a deer just fine. You should be able to find the same weight, but smaller diameter, field tips pretty easily. I've had that problem before and pulling the arrows out of the target and getting hung up every time was pretty annoying.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Only problem I see is mechanical broadheads. Just not a fan. A lot of people have used them without issue but a lot of people have had issues. I prefer a fixed point cut on contact.

I've tried a lot of mechanical and fixed broadheads. I'm really a fan of the NAP mechanical's. They don't use bands like a lot of the other ones out there and their retention system is solid. I was sold on them when a buddy of mine missed a deer with a NAP killzone and was able to hop down from his tree, grab his arrow and reset the blades with no bands or o-rings to keep up with. Went stalking in the woods and was able to take a deer using the same broadhead. They fly like a field point too. You should honestly give them a try.

As far as fixed blade, what ones do you use? curious if i have tried them. I'm always up for changing my kit for something that works better.

Last edited:

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always avoided mechanicals also, but that's just my preference. I usually go with Slick Trick or G5 Montec heads. Over the past few years I've shot deer, a hog and a 6x6 elk with the Montec heads and got clean pass through on all of them. When I shot the hog the arrow passed through and stuck in the tree behind it. It's on my youtube from about 3 years ago.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I almost bought the G5 montec the other day, but went with these spitfire's instead. They are for a crossbow. I've never owned a crossbow, but wanted to give one a try. Was worried the extra speed would make the mechanical's fail, guess we'll see. Never had an issue with my compound and the NAP's.

thaHooligan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I borrowed a friends crossbow a few years back and give it a try for a few days. I think he had some NAP mechanicals with like a 3" cutting diameter or maybe even a little more than that. I passed on all the deer I seen, but called in a coyote to about 30 yards and let one fly. That broad head did some MASSIVE damage on the exit wound and a lot of the innards became the outtards. lol. What I got from that whole experience was that the crossbow was not for me. It felt like a lot to lug around and cocking and decoking going in and out of the woods was a little annoying.

Latest posts

Top Bottom