Arrow/Bolt Question for the Archery Guys and Gals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah, i'm not sure i'm going to like it either. But wanted to give it a shot and see if it tickled my fancy. It arrives today, so we'll see how it goes. If you see a crossbow in the classifieds soon, you'll know it didn't go well.

MrShooter

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
According the Dr. Ashby, it will increase your penetration. Micro diameter shafts alone will help but this setup will result in even less resistance passing through flesh. Like mentioned above, the only problem is you're using mechanicals. I'd strongly recommend a cut on contact broadhead with a high FOC (19-20%+). Speed dont kill, momentum does.

I have another hunt in Africa booked primarily for a old bull giraffe. I'm using a Hoyt RX1 REDWRX shooting Grizzlytek 170's with silverflames coming in around 760gr 20% FOC. I will be using the same setup on a whitetail/elk/axis or bear.

Hunting the tiny 10 antelope.... well thats a different story..

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, 760 is pretty heavy. I'm in the 350-400 range on my arrows and 400-450 on the bolts. I used the VAP TKO's last season with firenock's and NAP Killzone broadheads fired through my Elite compound bow set at 55 lbs and every takedown was a complete pass through. Shooting at targets, the VAP's would consistently be 8-10" deeper then then my buddies goldtip hunter arrows with his bow set at 70 lbs. I'm a huge fan of the micro diameter shafts and Victory arrows.

jakerz

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
NAP Killzone kill from last year.

66bfb4e77d22d9435ad7fb275cd6f878.jpg

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Steelforce exclusively. I’ve had excellent results with shooting paper similar to field points. And the penetration and damage to the animals has been unbelievable as well. They are super tough.

Coach_1

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Honestly the broad head brand and or type doesn’t really matter of the shot is in the boiler room. Those big cut heads and mechanicals let you get away with a bad shot better. More room for error I guess. If you use a generic Chinese knockoff or high end silver flame, it won’t matter if you double lung or heart shot. I guess the downside to mechanicals is if they fail to deploy. Even still I think they’d kill a deer if a double lung pass through.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve killed a dozen deer with those NAP mechanicals. Those are well made broadheads, they’ve always opened up properly. I’ve also done it with very thin shafted shafts and an overhand just like yours. The original Beeman’s with outserts.
Youll Be fine. Stay away from the shoulder. No quartering towards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom