"Arseclownery" -- Obituary printed too soon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HFS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A newspaper in the north of England printed the obituary of an 83-year-old man.
The death notice said Charlie Donaghy was a longtime geography and Phys Ed teacher, lifelong fan of local sports teams and was recognized back in 2013 for his support of sports clubs and charities.

One small detail. Mr. Donaghy's family has pointed out, he is still alive and well.

His son Ian Donaghy took The Northern Echo to task, calling out the newspaper for its "arseclownery" in running the obituary.
He admitted the newspaper printed "a beautiful tribute & obituary," but was kind of peeved about it because his father isn't dead.

The Northern Echo published an apology on Monday.
The staff "apologize unreservedly for our mistake, and for any understandable distress and devastation that was caused to Mr. Donaghy, his family and friends."

The paper claims to have "checked with three independent sources" to confirm the man's passing before running the obituary.

Link: https://www.foxnews.com/world/england-newspaper-obituary-still-alive

I have to wonder. Who were their three sources...Moe, Larry and Curly?
The U.S. isn't the only country where the news media has gone to hell in a handbasket.
I do like that quaint term "arseclownery." I might have to start using that myself.

Edited to fix spelling of "where."

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom