Aspiring Gunsmith

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Rudd

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hello, I’ll be starting my associates degree in firearms technology at Sonoran desert institute next month. Hoping to become a part time gunsmith and possibly go full time if the option presents itself. I’m trying to find some older firearms that are worn down or even old rusty broken guns to begin working on and getting some experience to go along with my training. Any ideas where to find any?

emapples

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hello, I’ll be starting my associates degree in firearms technology at Sonoran desert institute next month. Hoping to become a part time gunsmith and possibly go full time if the option presents itself. I’m trying to find some older firearms that are worn down or even old rusty broken guns to begin working on and getting some experience to go along with my training. Any ideas where to find any?
So tell us more about Sonoran institute

EKing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
SDI is a great option for those who can't attend one of the traditional gunsmith schools. The knowledge and experience gained is not the same since in-person and hands-on always beats online only learning. SDI presents the material and resources to learn a LOT. Each student takes out of that what they put in. I finished the Associates in Firearms Technology a couple years ago. Nobody hired me as a gunsmith but I learned a bunch of things I never would have been exposed to. Still happy I did it.
If you want to get hired as a gunsmith, a degree from SDI alone may not be enough.
If you want to learn guns, it's way better than youtube, internet keyboard experts and your average Armorer course.

BrandonM

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Are there any gunsmiths already in your area that specialize in what you’re wanting to learn? If so contact them and offer your services as an unpaid apprentice. Be willing to sweep the floors and empty trash and whatever else that might need to be done. That’s probably your best way to learn the craft. Also, there are very few gunsmiths making any real money to speak of. If this is a hobby / second job then you’re probably fine. If this is going to be your full time gig then be ready to skip a few meals, especially just starting out.

cal7.62x39

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got an old Enfield 1917 that's seen better days I could part with.

IMG_20200808_153102.jpg
IMG_20200808_153123.jpg
IMG_20200808_153108.jpg
IMG_20200807_174820.jpg
IMG_20200807_174827.jpg
IMG_20200807_174816.jpg

But I have to warn you it's been sportorized.

Latest posts

Top Bottom