At Red Castle today.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Took some friends up to Red Castle today and pulled into the plinking range shortly after some other shooters. The other group, from what I could tell, consisted of a grandfather, a father, and two young boys. One of the boys was 7 (almost 8) and I think the other was 9 or 10. Since my guests were doing most of the shooting, I had time to observe the other group and was most impressed. The young boys were very safe, focused and well disciplined and I would be glad to share a range with this family anytime. I asked, and the father hesitatingly accepted my offer to allow the boys to shoot one of the firearms I had brought. They listened and followed the instructions on how to operate the gun and both thanked me when we were finished.

I'm sorry to say that this doesn't seem "normal" anymore and I complemented the father on how well his sons were doing......it made my day to watch these two young men, wish all of todays youth were as well mannered, respectful and well behaved.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Very Cool. Thanks.
Stopped in Jerry's gun, in Ardmore, today and a father was showing his young daughter a shot gun. It was pink and a bit too big for her but she was explaining to him why it wasn't. As she took the gun the father was asking her all the right safety questions and she was spot on with the answers.
Cool kid and cool dad.
shotty was a 12 with a camo pink stock. Ha! She wanted it for her birthday but I think dad was looking at something a bit smaller and lighter.
I have no question in my mind she knew how to handle and shoot it.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That is great, indeed. One time I was there, a father and his teenage son hauled out an old TV to the plinking range. I advised them it wasn't cool, but they blew me off, so I packed up and left, hoping to find the range officer on my way out, but no luck.

Buzzgun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Steelfingers.....a couple of years ago a friend asked if I would give his son and the son's family a bit of instruction on handguns. They came over and all except the teenage daughter were pretty confident and competent, she was a bit "gun shy". Since we were doing the shooting at my home range, I went and grabbed a ruger 22 auto pistol out of the safe and, in a short time, had the daughter shooting quarters taped to the target. They contacted me a few weeks later asking for info on the ruger pistol......the daughter enjoyed it so much she wanted one for christmas......and she got it!!

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Steelfingers.....a couple of years ago a friend asked if I would give his son and the son's family a bit of instruction on handguns. They came over and all except the teenage daughter were pretty confident and competent, she was a bit "gun shy". Since we were doing the shooting at my home range, I went and grabbed a ruger 22 auto pistol out of the safe and, in a short time, had the daughter shooting quarters taped to the target. They contacted me a few weeks later asking for info on the ruger pistol......the daughter enjoyed it so much she wanted one for christmas......and she got it!!
Thanks. Super story and a great thing you did.

Latest posts

Top Bottom