At what point can you do something?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Read this.
Oklahoma Disorderly Conduct Laws

Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last updated June 20, 2016

In Oklahoma, the disorderly conduct (or disturbing the peace) laws criminalize behavior that disturbs the peace and quiet by making loud noises, using profane language, fighting, or shooting a gun. These laws are broken down into two separate crimes: "disturbing the peace" and "grossly disturbing the peace." The following chart outlines these two main statutes that make up Oklahoma's disorderly conduct laws.

Code Section

Oklahoma Revised Statutes section 21-1362: Disturbing the Peace
What's Prohibited?

Willfully or maliciously disturbing the peace and quiet of any city, town, village, neighborhood, family or person by engaging in any of the following:
  • Loud or unusual noise
  • Abusive, violent, obscene, or profane language
  • Threatening to kill, inflict bodily harm, destroy property, or fight
  • Quarrelling or challenging to fight
  • Fighting
  • Shooting or brandishing a firearm, or
  • Riding a horse at an unusual speed along a public street
Penalties

Misdemeanor. Punishable by a fine of up to $100 and/or imprisonment in jail for up to 30 days.
<>

Code Section

Oklahoma Revised Statutes section 21-22: Grossly Disturbing the Peace
What's Prohibited?

Willfully committing any act that either:
  • Grossly injures another person or another person's property
  • Grossly disturbs the public peace or health, or
  • Openly outrages public decency and injures public morals
Penalties

Misdemeanor. Punishable by imprisonment for up to one year and/or a fine of up to $500.
Disorderly Conduct During an Emergency

During an emergency, disorderly conduct can be particularly disruptive and dangerous. Therefore, Oklahoma has enacted a separate law that criminalizes certain types of disorderly conduct during an emergency. This law basically makes it illegal to engage in certain types of disorderly conduct or fail to disperse when told to do so during an emergency.

Engaging in disorderly conduct during an emergency: During an emergency it is illegal to engage in any of the following acts of disorderly conduct, with two or more people, with the intent to commit a felony or misdemeanor, prevent or coerce official action, or while using a firearm or other deadly weapon:

• Fighting or engaging in violent, tumultuous, or threatening behavior
  • Making unreasonable noise
  • Making an offensive utterance, gesture, or display
  • Addressing abusive language to any person present
  • Dispersing a lawful procession or meeting of people, or
  • Creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition that doesn't serve a legitimated purpose
Violators of this law are guilty of rioting, which is a felony punishable by imprisonment for between two and ten years.

Failing to disperse during an emergency: It is also illegal in Oklahoma for a person in a public area during an emergency to refuse to leave when the authorities direct him to. Failing to disperse during an emergency is a misdemeanor offense.

Additional Resources

State laws change frequently. For case specific information regarding Oklahoma's disorderly conduct laws contact a local criminal defense attorney.

Now the way I see it is if someone is pounding on my car or yelling in my face at a public place I have a right to call 911.
I would also bet I have a right to press charges.

I suppose as soon as it starts call 911.

Tough for me to do because I do not have a cell phone.
I would love for the little punks to be tossed into the clink.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If they're surrounding my car and beating on it and yelling/threatening, I plan on hitting the gas after a couple of blasts on the horn.
Because of these scenes I installed a front/rear dash cam (been thinking about getting one for a while anyway).

Given the videos that we've seen lately I think a reasonable person can fear for their life in that situation.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This Walmart thing amazes me. Why give a hard time to someone that is only attempting to do the job they have been given. Chances are, if they were not doing that job, they could be on unemployment, that we are paying for. I'm sure they enjoy the treatment that the self-righteous folks give them all day. Is it really that large of an intrusion to our very important time that it will ruin our day? If it is that big of an intrusion to us, take the time to go find the manager and give them the reasons why we do not want to show the receipt. If it isn't that big a deal, just show the receipt, tell them have a nice day and leave.

^^^^This^^^^

Being nice to people interferes with one's sense of his own self-importance. One has to be considered as macho when in Walmart, thus the refusal to show a receipt.

:bolt:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not true. They are disturbing the peace. That "is" a crime in itself. I have a right to stop that. If not by any other means of force, then by citizens arrest if it come to that point.
If they are pounding on my car, your car is an extension of your home, I have a right to defend my home from unlawful entry.

Read this.
Oklahoma Disorderly Conduct Laws

Created by FindLaw's team of legal writers and editors | Last updated June 20, 2016

In Oklahoma, the disorderly conduct (or disturbing the peace) laws criminalize behavior that disturbs the peace and quiet by making loud noises, using profane language, fighting, or shooting a gun. These laws are broken down into two separate crimes: "disturbing the peace" and "grossly disturbing the peace." The following chart outlines these two main statutes that make up Oklahoma's disorderly conduct laws.

Code Section

Oklahoma Revised Statutes section 21-1362: Disturbing the Peace
What's Prohibited?

Willfully or maliciously disturbing the peace and quiet of any city, town, village, neighborhood, family or person by engaging in any of the following:
  • Loud or unusual noise
  • Abusive, violent, obscene, or profane language
  • Threatening to kill, inflict bodily harm, destroy property, or fight
  • Quarrelling or challenging to fight
  • Fighting
  • Shooting or brandishing a firearm, or
  • Riding a horse at an unusual speed along a public street
Penalties

Misdemeanor. Punishable by a fine of up to $100 and/or imprisonment in jail for up to 30 days.
<>

Code Section

Oklahoma Revised Statutes section 21-22: Grossly Disturbing the Peace
What's Prohibited?

Willfully committing any act that either:
  • Grossly injures another person or another person's property
  • Grossly disturbs the public peace or health, or
  • Openly outrages public decency and injures public morals
Penalties

Misdemeanor. Punishable by imprisonment for up to one year and/or a fine of up to $500.
Disorderly Conduct During an Emergency

During an emergency, disorderly conduct can be particularly disruptive and dangerous. Therefore, Oklahoma has enacted a separate law that criminalizes certain types of disorderly conduct during an emergency. This law basically makes it illegal to engage in certain types of disorderly conduct or fail to disperse when told to do so during an emergency.

Engaging in disorderly conduct during an emergency: During an emergency it is illegal to engage in any of the following acts of disorderly conduct, with two or more people, with the intent to commit a felony or misdemeanor, prevent or coerce official action, or while using a firearm or other deadly weapon:

• Fighting or engaging in violent, tumultuous, or threatening behavior
  • Making unreasonable noise
  • Making an offensive utterance, gesture, or display
  • Addressing abusive language to any person present
  • Dispersing a lawful procession or meeting of people, or
  • Creating a hazardous or physically offensive condition that doesn't serve a legitimated purpose
Violators of this law are guilty of rioting, which is a felony punishable by imprisonment for between two and ten years.

Failing to disperse during an emergency: It is also illegal in Oklahoma for a person in a public area during an emergency to refuse to leave when the authorities direct him to. Failing to disperse during an emergency is a misdemeanor offense.

Additional Resources

State laws change frequently. For case specific information regarding Oklahoma's disorderly conduct laws contact a local criminal defense attorney.

Now the way I see it is if someone is pounding on my car or yelling in my face at a public place I have a right to call 911.
I would also bet I have a right to press charges.

I suppose as soon as it starts call 911.

Tough for me to do because I do not have a cell phone.
I would love for the little punks to be tossed into the clink.

Good luck. Guaranteed you will be arrested if you respond violently, and how are you going to 'citizen's arrest' them? For a misdemeanor?

Not a chance. Like I said, YOU will be the one who winds up in jail - I'm not saying it's right, I'm not saying it's the law - I'm saying THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS THESE DAYS.

Have you even turned on a television in the last 6 months?

<edit> Rule of law means JACK. F***ING. NOTHING. these days.

ratski

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Point about a car being an extension of your home....

At what point does the Castle Doctrine come into effect?

I mean, if someone is banging on my front door, there is no imminent threat.
If the door is opening, different story
However, not likely that just by banging my door will that trigger a "response" from me

However, a car is different.
Banging on my car is more likely to cause damage
There is a more imminent threat, especially if there is a large crowd banging on my car or rocking it.
I do believe that once a window is broken (ie, the inner security is breached) then all bets are off, but until that point....

Anyone know?

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Point about a car being an extension of your home....

At what point does the Castle Doctrine come into effect?

I mean, if someone is banging on my front door, there is no imminent threat.
If the door is opening, different story
However, not likely that just by banging my door will that trigger a "response" from me

However, a car is different.
Banging on my car is more likely to cause damage
There is a more imminent threat, especially if there is a large crowd banging on my car or rocking it.
I do believe that once a window is broken (ie, the inner security is breached) then all bets are off, but until that point....

Anyone know?
I would guess that the totality of the situation would have to be considered; one man kicking your car door is different than a mob surrounding your car, beating on it, and screaming threats.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This Walmart thing amazes me. Why give a hard time to someone that is only attempting to do the job they have been given. Chances are, if they were not doing that job, they could be on unemployment, that we are paying for. I'm sure they enjoy the treatment that the self-righteous folks give them all day. Is it really that large of an intrusion to our very important time that it will ruin our day? If it is that big of an intrusion to us, take the time to go find the manager and give them the reasons why we do not want to show the receipt. If it isn't that big a deal, just show the receipt, tell them have a nice day and leave.

I have often smiled and politely said "no" as I exit the store.

They have 20 cashier lines, two lines open and backed up, yet the manager can stand up there and harass me as I leave. Screw that. I rarely, rarely go to WM anymore.

Latest posts

Top Bottom