1. Welcome to Oklahoma Shooters Association! Join today, registration is easy!

You can register using your Google, Facebook, or Twitter account, just click here.

ATF Can BS!!!!

Discussion in 'NFA & Class III Discussion' started by wlcharm, Jul 16, 2009.

1. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Sharpshooter

YHM has released a new piston that has a "universal thread adapter" that screws in to the base of the piston. The pistons now come in a "one size fits all" configuration where you can buy extra "universal thread adapters" and swap them out of the base of the piston IOT configure the piston to whichever thread you need.

YHM's Universal thread adapter: http://yankeehillmachine.com/store/product556.html

2. MAJ MALFUNCTION

MAJ MALFUNCTION Sharpshooter

Only YHM has been affected by the ATF ruling.

SCAR-H SD mounts can be tuff to find in stock mainly due to AAC making only a few at a time and so they kind of trickle out and get scooped up pretty fast (supply/demand). We've got some in stock, if you don't have any luck anywhere else.

3. ez bake

ez bake Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    Yeah - after I posted that, I figured out that the M4 3-prong on your page is the same thing as the M4/SD Miter. I may be hitting you up after Christmas.

4. mr ed

mr ed Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    what is a piston?

5. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    It is also called a Nielsen Device, a LID (Linear Inertial Decoupler) and sometimes simply a booster. Maj Malunction has a good explaination and animation at this link (http://major-malfunction.com/maj_malf_5u_006.htm) near the bottom of the page. The booster is the part that is moving.

6. mr ed

mr ed Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If I understand the description correctly a piston/booster is a internal part of the suppressor. therefore cannot be sold. since its illegal to sell suppressor replacement parts "over the counter".
    And the YHM universal thread adapter cannot be put on your suppressor because it adds length to to suppressor. which is against the law.
    so, ATF is just enforcing the law by making them stop selling the items.

I understand the part about lengthening the suppressor because I bought an adapter a while back which came with a piece of paper that said I had to permenately attach it to the barrel and not just leave it in the suppressor.

7. NikatKimber

NikatKimber Moderator Staff Member

Rating
    100%
    reeeaaaallllly.....

8. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    ATF allows replaceable wipes for older model Sionics style suppressors and they are internal parts as well. The extra pistons that were sold were in different thread pitches to allow them to mount to different guns. The fact that it is internal is not relevant in my opinion as it is not a replacement part, but simply a thread adapter. If ATF were trying to enforce the law, why did they restrict only YHM from selling pistons and not ALL manufacturers from selling them?

9. Rob72

Rob72 Sharpshooter

Test case. YHM has the financial resources for a legal battle, and is highly visible, for both ClassIII and "regular" products. If ATF can choke this chicken, they prove the "validity" of their approach.

10. CAR-AR-M16

CAR-AR-M16 Sharpshooter

Rating
    100%
    If that was the case, they should have gone after AAC which is now owned by Cerberus Capital Management which also owns Remington and Bushmaster.