ATF guidance and examples regarding "DO I NEED A LICENSE TO BUY AND SELL FIREARMS?"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have seen posts in several gun forums (including this one) discussing the criteria for having to purchase a federal license to buy and sell guns.

I saw this publication yesterday and thought it gave really good guidance with real-life examples to better understand when a Federal Firearms License is required under federal law.

https://www.atf.gov/file/100871/download

D. Hargrove

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
A wonderful piece of informative writing, thank you. Very straight forward, cut and dry, I very much enjoyed the examples towards the last few pages. May seem like common sense but it never surprises me at the number of folks that just do not know the rules.

FrankNmac

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are very welcome. I don't usually find government publications providing examples like the ATF bulletin did that enable you to compare your level of activity and actions to the examples and decide where you fall.

Larry Morgan

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Wow, a government document that actually gives me some confidence. What are the odds.

Honestly, some of the examples make it pretty obvious who they want to crack down. All the people at gun shows and sitting around on their computer who claim to be really into guns, but are really acting like a dealer. I suspect we might be seeing less and less of the surly old men with their half-annoyed wives in tow at guns shows, look to sell overprice antique guns to unsuspecting young'uns.

Latest posts

Top Bottom