ATF reclassifying frames and recievers

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
490 some responses currently. Comment period runs until August.
Mine:
This bill/legislation is only targeting law abiding citizens. It does nothing to actually stop crime or apprehend the people who are already breaking the law.
By passing this bill you will be making millions of American law abiding citizens criminals just by owning guns without serial numbers.
Serial numbers were not required on firearms prior to the gun control act of 1968.
Making guns without serial numbers illegal is not going to solve any gun crime issues as those guns are almost never used in any crime.
I ask that this proposed legislation be tabled for not being in the best interest of law abiding citizens.
Thank you for considering my comments that are accompanied with facts.

Feel free with permission to copy and use this or use it as a basis to create your own comments.
this is a great start....good thinking on your part

Cue

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a link with a great example of a comment.

https://reddit.com/r/gundeals/comments/ni15ic/please_comment_on_the_latest_atf_rule_regarding/

The example

Most gun owners, like myself, are law abiding citizens. We go to work, take care of our families, and do our best to comply with the law. The problem is that the law keeps changing or at least the interpretation of said law. Especially when the political climate changes. I know the BATFE has a job to do. And i know there are bad guys you are trying to catch but most of the time it ends up just hurting the average Joe trying to life his life, take care of his family, chase happiness. I ask y'all to reconsider the reclassifacation of receivers and frames and make the rules for them direct, clear, and understandable for the average person. Please remember we are Americans like you are. Thank you!

Swingwing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
upload_2021-5-24_1-13-5.jpeg

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The way I have read the identification of the receiver, for all current designs already recognized by the ATF there will be no change to which component is recognized as the receiver. It also states that all future designs that deviate from current designs, the manufacturer can submit a request to the ATF for them to identify which component will be the recognized receiver requiring serial numbers. I am on my third read through with notes, but it sounds to me like they have no intent of requiring more than one component of a single operational firearm requiring serial numbers.

wawazat

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read it again and my interpretation is that they want to serial number the upper because it houses the ‘bolt or breechblock’ that they mention over and over and over
Below is the paragraph I was referencing.

Copied from II.B.3

One important goal of this rule is to ensure that it does not affect existing ATF classifications of firearms that specify a single component as the frame or receiver. Application of the rule, as proposed, would not alter these prior ATF classifications. To provide more clarity, this supplement to the definition would include a nonexclusive list of common weapons with a split/multi-piece frame or receiver configuration for which ATF has previously determined a specific part to be the frame or receiver. If a manufacturer produces or an importer imports a firearm falling within one of these designs as they exist as of the date of publication of a final rule, it can refer to this list to know which part is the frame or receiver. The manufacturer or importer can then mark without needing to ask ATF for a classification. The nonexclusive list identifies the frame or receiver for the following firearms: (i) Colt 1911-type, Beretta/Browning/FN Herstal/Heckler & Koch/Ruger/Sig Sauer/Smith & Wesson/Taurus hammer fired semiautomatic pistols; (ii) Glock-type striker fired semiautomatic pistols; (iii) Sig Sauer P320-type semiautomatic pistols; (iv) certain locking block rail system semiautomatic pistols; (v) AR-15-type and Beretta AR-70-type firearms; (vi) Steyr AUG-type firearms; (vii) Thompson M1A1-type machineguns and semiautomatic variants, and L1A1, FN FAL, FN FNC, MP 38, MP 40, and SIG 550 type firearms, and HK-type machineguns and semiautomatic variants; (viii) Vickers/Maxim, Browning 1919, and M2-type machineguns, and box-type machineguns and semiautomatic variants thereof; and (ix) Sten, Sterling, and Kel-tec Sub-2000-type firearms. However, if there is a present or future split or modular design for a firearm that is not comparable to an existing classification, then the definition of “frame or receiver” would advise that more than one part is the frame or receiver subject to marking and other requirements, unless a specific classification or marking variance is obtained from ATF, as described above.

Hodrod

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a link with a great example of a comment.

https://reddit.com/r/gundeals/comments/ni15ic/please_comment_on_the_latest_atf_rule_regarding/

The example

Most gun owners, like myself, are law abiding citizens. We go to work, take care of our families, and do our best to comply with the law. The problem is that the law keeps changing or at least the interpretation of said law. Especially when the political climate changes. I know the BATFE has a job to do. And i know there are bad guys you are trying to catch but most of the time it ends up just hurting the average Joe trying to life his life, take care of his family, chase happiness. I ask y'all to reconsider the reclassifacation of receivers and frames and make the rules for them direct, clear, and understandable for the average person. Please remember we are Americans like you are. Thank you!
Straight to the point and non-aggressive....I think this is a great reply

Swingwing

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I read it again and my interpretation is that they want to serial number the upper because it houses the ‘bolt or breechblock’ that they mention over and over and over

They have stated very clearly what is to be considered the "frame" or serialized part, with illustrations. Basically I too read it as no change to the serialized part. This part of their proposal is for clarification only. Nothing insidious here, which is surprising. Will have to read it again.

The part of their proposal that does bother me is the change for FFL's about the 20 year retention. Currently 4473's are to be retained a minimum of 20 years, then they can be disposed of in the manner an FFL chooses. If an FFL goes out of business, his records are supposed to be turned over to the ATF. The proposal will require FFL's to retain records forever, then turn them in to ATF when they go out of business. There is also a catch for those with C&R FFL's. Currently C&R's keep a book of records for disposition of C&R type firearms. When they give up their license they can destroy their records. The proposal will require them to turn in their records. And it kind of implies something about 4473's for C&R FFL's. I need to read that section more thoroughly. It seems like that is a giant step toward registration.

In general all of us need to read the proposal more carefully, especially if you are going to submit a comment. Even some seasoned members seem to have gone off the rails with their comments. Some comments make us all look foolish.Don't take any of my comments to mean that I'm an ATF fanbois. I have no use for them (jack booted thugs). They do no service for "We the people".

I would attach the PDF file of their proposal if anyone wants it, but I don't know how.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
"Ghost guns must be stopped as soon as possible. Once they get out they cannot be traced. All other gun laws become meaningless if ghost guns are allowed."

That was the first comment I clicked on. Don't think your comment won't matter.

Latest posts

Top Bottom