ATF stings locally through private sales/private sale stories...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoomerSoonerOUalways

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So me and my wife have visited here on and off for about 6-7 years here before moving here recently to our new home. I have been trying to acquire some more firearms being in a more gun friendly state with this current overpriced market I dont feel like paying gunshop prices so I went into the used market like everyone else. I come across this guy on armslist, older maybe late 60s/early 70s based out of midwest city, guy said he is friends with the owner of Blue Haven firearms and runs a business through gunbroker.com selling guns and had a couple anderson ars for sale, brand new, that he put together and is selling as private citizen(He said he himself is not an FFL but does business THROUGH this firearm shop) so I tell him okay, lets meet there at blue haven, he goes "nonononono we will meet here at a grocery store nearby first and if you want the gun we can do the transfer at the gunshop" I said okay fine whatever(I know, private sales dont need an FFL but he offered to pay for the FFL transer to cover his ass so i said screw it).

We meet and this dude is SO wannna-be macho it blows my mind, starts talking about all the gun fights he has been in to impress me, his car is covered in "come and take it" stickers, he proceeds to pull two brand new anderson ARs out of his trunk IN THE MIDDLE OF A ****ING GROCERY STORE PARKING LOT MID DAY. and starts pulling the bolt back with people looking, starts barrel flashing me and a few other people before handing me the firearm muzzle first(crazy). I Inspect and it does legit look new but the vibe of this guy and his fake bravado I say its not what im looking for, he starts going on a rant about how he can get me unlimited firearms and how cool he is and how much he wins at life, I noticed he had a computer in his car like a police officer but gunbroker and buds were up on the monitor, was super strange. He was hinting he could get some NFA items as well which I just ignored and left. I was thinking after it had all the hallmarks of a sting operation but nothing was illegal it just seemed he was trying to feel out certain people and entrap them if they were interested in more than just the legal AR he was selling.

Thought it was VERY strange, ended up not buying the AR. I call Blue Haven and they said nobody there knows him. He didnt try to rob me and wasn't pushy about the cash, just was strange interaction overall. Do you guys have any weird stories about selling firearms through public meetups?

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’ve never had to walk away during a meet up, but I’ve got bad vibes texting or talking to several people before hand and backed out.
I had a guy recently wanting me to pay through a “bitcoin ATM” (I didn’t know there was such a thing) and absolutely didn’t want cash, and that was enough red flag for me to walk away. He badgered me via text for about a week afterwards trying to get me to do the deal.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This not this necessarily relevant to this discussion, but the local gun classifieds I use, there’s a couple sure fire ways to tell if the seller is a scammer. First, if they register the same day an ad is listed, it’s likely to be a scammer. If no location or contact info is listed, it’s likely to be a scammer, and if the price is too good to be true, it’s pretty much a guarantee it’s a scammer.
I’ve had friends ask what I think about a deal they’re working on, and when I give them my list of scammer “tells”, they want to argue with me. I want a “deal” as much as anyone, but sometimes you have to see it for what it is…a scam. :anyone:

bigred1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve never had to walk away during a meet up, but I’ve got bad vibes texting or talking to several people before hand and backed out.
I had a guy recently wanting me to pay through a “bitcoin ATM” (I didn’t know there was such a thing) and absolutely didn’t want cash, and that was enough red flag for me to walk away. He badgered me via text for about a week afterwards trying to get me to do the deal.
Should of told him you'd give it to him in bits.... 2 bits 4 bits 6 bits a dollar. 😏

joegrizzy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
you did the right thing btw. always trust your gut, if something stinks throw it out. nothing about a private sale should seem off, at any point. i've had instances where people had legit excuses to miss a meet-up, and every one seemed honest. the ones that didn't, i didn't give two thought about and just broke contact.

but heck if you want anderson ar's just build 'em yourself.

Latest posts

Top Bottom