ATF to ban/confiscate AA-12 shotguns?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't play by the rules "sh$t happens"
If you look at the pictures you will see the markings and serial number are on the "Easily removed " piece of metal running from the mag catch assy to the grip. That is not a non removable piece of receiver. furthermore it looks to be lightly laser engraved.
BATFE regulations specify how to administer serial number markings including how deep they must be.
On a nfa facebook page there's a whole discussion on this including the original postings by the guy that started the crap.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you look at the pictures you will see the markings and serial number are on the "Easily removed " piece of metal running from the mag catch assy to the grip. That is not a non removable piece of receiver. furthermore it looks to be lightly laser engraved.
BATFE regulations specify how to administer serial number markings including how deep they must be.
This is good to know. Thanks.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As I have said any and all means that can be used to confiscate weapons, CAN AND WILL BE USED! Of course (it will never happen here) is the primary response but it has begun.

And it all started in 1934. Anybody got a time machine? A few bullets to the heads of the gangsters of the thirties that caused the law to be enacted in the first place should do it.

If the problem is the marking of the firearm, I don’t see why the owners couldn’t mark them to be in compliance. IIRC ATF did the same thing with the Striker 12 shotgun. BUT, didn’t they give the owners a grace period in which to register them with ATF instead of confiscate? I never saw why it was considered a DD in the first place.

I don’t know how long these shotguns have been out, but I’m sure there was more than enough time to raise a fuss about it before now.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And it all started in 1934. Anybody got a time machine? A few bullets to the heads of the gangsters of the thirties that caused the law to be enacted in the first place should do it.

It wasn't the gangsters fault, it was Hollywood's. There were very few gangsters who could afford the cost of a BAR or Thompson. Machine Gun Kelly stole his. Same for Bonnie and Clyde. Al Capone was the only one who could afford to pay for them legally and that was because he had a lock down on the illegal booze sales. The machine gun scare was due to Hollywood producing gangster movies showing them as all having Thompsons when this was far from the truth. Just like gun laws of today, it was sold on a fake promise to fix a non-existent problem.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was also when you could buy one mail order. Then the NFA of 1934 came along and the $200.00 tax stamp was more than “normal” people could afford when they were working for a dollar a day trying to feed their family.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That was also when you could buy one mail order. Then the NFA of 1934 came along and the $200.00 tax stamp was more than “normal” people could afford when they were working for a dollar a day trying to feed their family.

The cost of the BAR and Thompson were about $200 also, putting them well out of the range of the average person. The NFA "tax" basically doubled it to ensure that very few people could afford to buy them.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder how many of them made their way home in duffel bags after WWII? IIRC there was a very short window for an “Amnesty” in 1968.

With the limited communications of that era, I’m sure the news of the amnesty didn’t reach everyone who had an eligible full-auto.

Latest posts

Top Bottom