Attaching a light switch on a AR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Be tough to accidentally activate if it were mounted above the trigger on the receiver under the dust cover so it could be operated with a finger with the Velcro DHargrove spoke about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So if it were placed there, your trigger finger would activate the light, correct?
So when you have to take a shot, no more light.

To the OP, it's your rifle so do what you want, but ditching the switch with the cord and learning to activate the tailcap of the light with your support thumb would be more effective and take away those cords that can snag on whatever.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you normally place your support hand near the distal end of the hand guard, you might consider mounting the light with a rocker switch on a short rail near where your thumb or index finger would rest. Then reach out with the one digit to operate the rocker switch. I've done this before, and it worked nicely for me.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So if it were placed there, your trigger finger would activate the light, correct?

To the OP, it's your rifle so do what you want, but ditching the switch with the cord and learning to activate the tailcap of the light with your support thumb would be more effective and take away those cords that can snag on whatever.
I been thinking about that that's the way my son in law has his I was just thinking it would be nice to have it where my hand already is

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

My light is snap on, snap off, not a momentary activation. I wouldn't want one that didn't stay on if constant pressure on the switch was required.
I have too many armadillos running around for something like that. [emoji4]

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
My light is snap on, snap off, not a momentary activation. I wouldn't want one that didn't stay on if constant pressure on the switch was required.
I have too many armadillos running around for something like that. [emoji4]

Fair enough.
I haven't seen too many like that, most I see are momentary.

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
If I were to run a light on an AR, I would use a pistol light like the Streamlight TLR or a surefire 300. A small self contained unit with a rocker switch that has capability of either constant on or momentary and can be secured using a small section of picatinny, but that's my preference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom