Atwood's bitchy bitchy bitchy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I needed a new mower, I did a little research (very little) and Husqvarna seemed like a good fit for me. An added benefit was I could buy it at Atwoods and stay local, boy was that a screw up.
I bought it came back the next day to get it, the seat safety was unplugged, i didn't think anything about that. I put gas in it started it and loaded it on the trailer, no problems. Went to lunch and came back about an hour later to unload it, no bueno. It started and ran great but as soon as you move the right control out of park any at all it dies. The left control will come in to engage mode alone and engage forward or reverse its not supposed to do that. Ever.
I called Atwoods to see about exchanging it and was told nope its yours we won't take it back. They gave me a phone number no one answers and said just disengage the transmission and roll it off the trailer, that should have been prefaced with don't try this at home. No steering wheel no brakes.
Husqvarna tech support asked for my zip code then asked if I was in California. After about 20 minutes they said they will have someone call within 48 business hours.
It looks like I have a rather expensive orange yard ornament with 0.6 hours on it.
So much for the buy local and get better service bs.
If some of y'all Enid folks work for Atwoods I'm sorry, but if I'm lyin, I'm dyin.
As for me, it looks like Tractor Supply or Ace gets my business.
Just curious, did you get your 48 hour callback from Husqvarna? Or get it working correctly…?

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Atwoods stepped up after my whining and exchanged the mower.
Me happy now.
Evidently there is an issue with this particular model's wiring harness, neither Atwoods or the review I read were aware of it.
That sucks about the bad service! I’m not familiar with Enid Atwoods. But the one in Norman is usually decent.

I will say though, if you are mechanically inclined it’s probably a simple fix. Most of those lawnmowers aren’t too terribly complicated. I bet a small engine shop could fix it pretty easily if you’re not into wrenching.

that being said it definitely sucks to have to work on some thing you just bought
I am indeed mechanically inclined (in my mind anyway) but, I decided I would sit this one out.

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This doesn’t help your situation, but my FIL just upgraded his mower and has a well kept JD rider he plans on selling. I believe the model number starts with 3 (of the newer model numbering system), it’s a 48”, and may have a mulching kit and/or bag system. I don’t remember all the details. It’s definitely not been used hard.
I have a 318 and a 317 JD, the engine in the 317 is locked up, the 318 has blown rings, no parts or engine exchanges or change over kits around anywhere I or JD can find.

psimp

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No not yet and no. But I did get an exchange for a different mower. Side note, they had to prep two more mowers, the first one had a similar issue to the one i bought, #3 runs like a champ.
Thanks- guess 1 out of 3 isn’t bad, SINCE you got it! 👍 Good to hear, too expensive for a yard ornament

okietool

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That sucks. I thought for sure that Atwoods of all companies, would stand behind what they sell. I hope you get it worked out along with a HUGE apology from Atwood’s leadership.

If you have twitter, I would spread the news far and wide.
The LOCAL manager was very apologetic. I suspect Atwoods just used me to gas up their mowers ;)
I'm waiting on Musk to transform it.
I did get quite a thing going on assbook.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Everything has gone new fangled (more complicated) these days.

Lawyers and insurance companies.
Trying to idiot proof everything.

Reading the manual on my mower.
1. Come to a complete stop. Disengage blades. Set brake before getting off of mower.
2. Do not work in blades while mower is ruining.
3. Do not put foot or hand in discharge chute, with blades turning.

There are 6 safety interlocks that must be engaged to allow starting motor.

The world is full of morons. We pay the price.

Latest posts

Top Bottom