Atwood's bitchy bitchy bitchy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Kind of a shock to hear that Atwoods would treat customers like that. I learned my lesson about big box stores the hard way many years ago, after a few drills like yours. Finally I learned that when I need to buy power equipment that I expect to actually use hard for many years to come, I go to a power equipment dealer that both carries major brands AND that has a full service shop. For example, I've personally been well treated by the folks at Smith Farm & Garden in OKC for over 20 years. I'm still running a large Scag Turf Tiger bought new from them in 2002, which is nearing 1,000 hours. Other than upgrading its electric clutch to a heavier duty replacement, this mower has needed no major work in 20 years. It still runs great and starts every time, but I admit I do take good care of it. Professional power equipment dealers certainly aren't budget priced, but most carry top line, heavy duty commercial class equipment (as opposed to "consumer/residential" level equipment like BB stores) and they all service what they sell and are factory-backed authorized warranty shops. Of course, there are no free lunches, so there will always be some $ tacked on the purchased price to help pay for their service shop and a big inventory of spare parts. Over the years, I've learned to smile and pay it up front, because it's worth every penny.

+1 on Smith Farm and Garden in OKC.

JeffT

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Kind of a shock to hear that Atwoods would treat customers like that. I learned my lesson about big box stores the hard way many years ago, after a few drills like yours. Finally I learned that when I need to buy power equipment that I expect to actually use hard for many years to come, I go to a power equipment dealer that both carries major brands AND that has a full service shop. For example, I've personally been well treated by the folks at Smith Farm & Garden in OKC for over 20 years. I'm still running a large Scag Turf Tiger bought new from them in 2002, which is nearing 1,000 hours. Other than upgrading its electric clutch to a heavier duty replacement, this mower has needed no major work in 20 years. It still runs great and starts every time, but I admit I do take good care of it. Professional power equipment dealers certainly aren't budget priced, but most carry top line, heavy duty commercial class equipment (as opposed to "consumer/residential" level equipment like BB stores) and they all service what they sell and are factory-backed authorized warranty shops. Of course, there are no free lunches, so there will always be some $ tacked on the purchased price to help pay for their service shop and a big inventory of spare parts. Over the years, I've learned to smile and pay it up front, because it's worth every penny.
I use Smith as well. When I was growing up, my grandfather always bought stuff there and worked on his own equipment. When something happened that he couldn’t diagnose or fix, we always took it to them and they fixed it. I have a 52” scag that I bought from them in 2013 or so and it still works great. I buy filters and belts and blades and spark plugs from them as needed. Good store, Great Service!

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy it sounds like that's an Atwood's thing. I got a Hobart welder from the atwoods in Waco Texas and it was instantly defective. They told me good luck and gave me the phone number for a local repair center that I could take it for warranty work. A scathing letter or three to their store management as well as corporate and within a few days I got a call from the store manager and asked when was it convenient time for me to bring the welder back. I basically told him that I had to be at work at 7:00 a.m. so they needed to do it before I got to work and they opened the store a few hours early and had the manager, a cashier, and a cart boy at the store when I got there. The cart boy came to my car to retrieve the welder and carry it into the customer service desk where the cashier was waiting for me and the manager held the door open as I walked in and out.

4play

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the seat safety switch is faulty, not connected right or out of adjustment. On the mower side of the harness you can try sticking a jumper wire or paper clip in the connector to bypass the switch. If it works, you can at least move it around or maybe mow while you wait for a proper repair.

Snattlerake

Conservitum Americum
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sounds like the seat safety switch is faulty, not connected right or out of adjustment. On the mower side of the harness you can try sticking a jumper wire or paper clip in the connector to bypass the switch. If it works, you can at least move it around or maybe mow while you wait for a proper repair.
Mine is a three wire plug. Not a two wire.

HarryBear

HB
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I could only imagine a job paying $10 an hour and gas is $5 a gallon, insurance, etc...
Just to break even, or it cost 'you' money to go to work....

rickm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thats the first thing i always disconnect and jumper on my mowers, now the JD is a 4 wire system so just took the switch out of the seat rigged it in the closed position and left it out of the seat, second thing i disconnect is the reverse switch and jumper it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom