Aurora Illinois Shooter Another Failure of Law Enforcement?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieWH2O

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...d-illinois-police-say/?utm_term=.f57a0dfe8ea4

Convicted felon, got a FOID card in IL and got it, purchased a handgun, applied for a CCL and was denied due to his conviction. The FOID was cancelled and it should have been evident he had purchased the handgun from a BACKGROUND CHECK. I wonder if the handgun he used is the one he illegally purchased.

It was the same. He was ordered to surrender the firearm after his felony conviction came up and he never did.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, are there people that should not have access to firearms? Should this man, after felony conviction, be allowed to purchase and carry firearm? Does the law preventing a convicted felon from having a firearm make sense?

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Was it really a failure? That depends on whether the objective is to save lives, or pass more anti-gun laws. Sadly, one person’s failure is another’s success. :(
I truly believe this stuff is happening because the antis want more restrictions. They don’t care about saving lives. Only about gaining more power over us common folk. Number one this guy should have been denied the FOID card. I don’t know where he got the pistol from but if it was at a licensed dealer he should have been denied but wasn’t. Once he was discovered to be a felon in possession he should have been arrested not sent a letter telling him to turn the gun in. That ain’t how it works. Only problem I see in all of this is the shooter was black. He doesn’t fit the usual racist white male stereotype. And that is why you probably won’t hear much about this from the mainstream. That and it wasn’t an AR.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, are there people that should not have access to firearms? Should this man, after felony conviction, be allowed to purchase and carry firearm? Does the law preventing a convicted felon from having a firearm make sense?
I believe we all have the right to carry. Even that man. He wasn’t supposed to have a gun yet did and still killed people. These laws do nothing to stop this stuff. These people will find a way to kill. If not with a gun they will use a knife or a car or you fill in the blanks. The 2A is clear. It doesn’t say “shall not be infringed except for felons and mentally ill”. I know that’s hard for some of y’all to swallow but it’s the truth.

DavidMcmillan

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All have the right, and the responsibilities that go with rights. It is pretty clear that a felony conviction results in that right to be revoked. He knew, or should have known, that by committing a felony, he was giving up several of his "rights". This guy shows why that law exists.

I', not sure I agree with that law, but I do understand why it exists. Accept it or not, there are some people that should not have firearms. The difficulty for society is how to determine when the rights of others trumps the rights of an individual.

Again, no answers here, just questions.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I truly believe this stuff is happening because the antis want more restrictions. They don’t care about saving lives. Only about gaining more power over us common folk. Number one this guy should have been denied the FOID card. I don’t know where he got the pistol from but if it was at a licensed dealer he should have been denied but wasn’t. Once he was discovered to be a felon in possession he should have been arrested not sent a letter telling him to turn the gun in. That ain’t how it works. Only problem I see in all of this is the shooter was black. He doesn’t fit the usual racist white male stereotype. And that is why you probably won’t hear much about this from the mainstream. That and it wasn’t an AR.

FWIW, my opinion is that the failure should be considered mistakes UNTIL the people who made the mistakes accept ownership of them. Since people died, the only acceptable response is to submit their resignations with an apology. Anyone who refuses to do so then tacitly admits they don't care about saving lives, and should be summarily fired. If you don't fire them, then you're admitting that you don't care about saving lives either. You don't get the benefit of the doubt if you refuse to do the right thing.

Authority without responsibility is irresponsible. We shouldn't accept it in government.

Latest posts

Top Bottom