Auto Burglar clone suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I've been looking for an Auto Burglar for a long time and haven't had much luck. Every time one comes up for sale, it always goes for way more than I expected and I can't get the cash together in time. I'm beginning to think I'll never get one and am leaning towards just making a clone.

Couple of questions - when you cut down a double barrel, there is the gap between the barrels, can a gunsmith plug this? It just seems a bit half-a$$ed to leave it open but I can't think of a way to actually do it. I'm not a gunsmith either, so what do I know?

Second, I know the grip on the Auto Burglar is much more verticle than the pistol grip section of a shotgun stock, and also has that cool spur to heighten the gripping area on it. When you shoot a cut down stock, it doesn't seem as if it will give you the same control as an original. Any suggestions around this? I'd say I'd have a woodworking friend just make me a stock like an Auto Burglar, but it looks like the trigger and tang set up is different.

Finally, I've got my eye on an older Ithaca double 20 gauge for sale, and am thinking about using it. Anyone have any suggestions on who to do the work when I get the paperwork completed? I'll need a gunsmith and someone who could make the stock look good and refinish the stock and forearm to match.

This is just a range gun, so I don't expect to see all that much shooting with it, but I would certainly want it to look good.

mr ed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
1. In the old days the gunsmith filled that gap by laying a thick piece of pure lead or a piece of buckshot on the end and gently tapping it til a good amount was in the hole then trimming off with a sharp knife. you could do the same or an epoxy like JB weld would work as good.

2. From my experience I prefer the straighter grip commonly called a broomstick over the 90 degree pistol grip type.
the straight grip rolls with your wrist, where the PG comes straight back. I think maybe it would depend on your shooting style. 90 degree grip for 2 handed and broomstick for 1 handed on that small of gun.

I've had several over the years. cresent arms, h&r handy. stevens, AOW witness and even a boito.

forindooruseonly

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the input Mr Ed. That sounds reasonable.

Obamasucks - A Serbu shorty just doesn't excite me. I want a range toy, not something serious, and have always wanted an auto-burglar. The extra load isn't a factor for me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom