Auto/Home Insurance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@psimpsen

New to the site!
Reaction score
Just answered my own question. Looks like I don't qualify for memebership with USAA, No immediate family in the military. On to the next option.
I had USAA for years on autos. Got married and wife had farmers on house. I wanted same for both due to discount, and Farmers won. The prices were close, but thought easier for me to change auto ins. FYI - my Dad was in Military, that’s how I qualified for USAA… might go back, Farmers played games on me during ice storm last year, where USAA always came through (on autos in past) quicker than I could call, ALMOST. Good to read why insurance is so high.. I just keep paying and SHOULD be shopping around. Good thread = thanks

icarus_85

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Heard good things about StateFarm Ins. Got full coverage for our three vehicles in OK with high coverage and lower deductibles. I understand this costs more. Our policy in CA we had with same coverage was about $1000+ less per year.

I have heard OK ins can be a bit higher than other states including CA but this seem crazy.

What auto and home policies are you going with? Need to shop around now. Who do you recommend. Thanks.
Shop the rates, but I'd make sure you are getting real "Replacement Cost" vs. "Actual Cash Value" coverage. I learned that the hard way when making a claim for storm damage to my roof. And in Oklahoma, you are at a much higher risk of receiving roof damage due to wind and/or hail.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We wondered about that so called and asked about gun coverage. We were told there wasn’t a limit but to be sure and have good documentation.
Thanks Dennis, I didn't know that and we've been with USAA over 20 years. I was in the military and my son is piggy-backing and has USAA insurance based on my service. USAA is one of the best if not the best insurance company based on what insurance an agents have said in conversations after an accident I had a few years back.

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If you are covering your guns under your home policy, you're making a huge mistake. Unless your home burns to the ground or a tornado wipes the slab clean, what do you really think you're going to collect? Yes, if they are paying you $300k for your pile of debris, they'll add in another $5-10k or whatever for your guns. What happens if your gun is stolen? Are you really going to make a claim on your homeowner's insurance over a gun? If yes, are you still going to make that claim when you realize you are subject to that homeowner's deductible? $300k coverage with a 1% deductible? How much do you think you're really going to pocket here? If you don't lose EVERYTHING, then that gun coverage under your house policy is going to be nearly worthless.

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had USAA for years on autos. Got married and wife had farmers on house. I wanted same for both due to discount, and Farmers won. The prices were close, but thought easier for me to change auto ins. FYI - my Dad was in Military, that’s how I qualified for USAA… might go back, Farmers played games on me during ice storm last year, where USAA always came through (on autos in past) quicker than I could call, ALMOST. Good to read why insurance is so high.. I just keep paying and SHOULD be shopping around. Good thread = thanks
A belated welcome to OSA '@psimpsen' :wave:

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
I use Allstate for everything now. Cheaper than progressive and USAA. Used to have USAA for everything, disliked their policies and rates, went to progressive for auto with USAA homeowners insurance. Went to Allstate for everything, I think it was 30% less than progressive and 15% less than usaa on homeowners. Customer service is great, haven’t had any issues. I also haven’t had to make a claim with any of the above companies. My mom used to have State Farm, went to Allstate after making a claim on her roof and apparently got shafted, BUT that’s heresay and my mom isn’t the most thorough or motivated person.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you are covering your guns under your home policy, you're making a huge mistake. Unless your home burns to the ground or a tornado wipes the slab clean, what do you really think you're going to collect? Yes, if they are paying you $300k for your pile of debris, they'll add in another $5-10k or whatever for your guns. What happens if your gun is stolen? Are you really going to make a claim on your homeowner's insurance over a gun? If yes, are you still going to make that claim when you realize you are subject to that homeowner's deductible? $300k coverage with a 1% deductible? How much do you think you're really going to pocket here? If you don't lose EVERYTHING, then that gun coverage under your house policy is going to be nearly worthless.
I’m not totally understanding this.
USAA told me to document everything really well, as it would all be covered concerning guns.
If I’m left with a clean slab, my homeowners insurance won’t cover what’s in my home?
Help me out here.
As a side note, we have some RV friends that were in Kentucky last week. Their new $80,000 RV was involved in a flash flood with water to the top step.
Found out today it’s totaled.
They discovered the insurance they had, because they were saving a few bucks at renewal time was not what they thought they had. They are going to take a major hit on it.
Lesson learned is that the cheapest insurance premium may not be the best in the long run when you need it.
Buy the best, not the cheapest

FullAuto

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I’m not totally understanding this.
USAA told me to document everything really well, as it would all be covered concerning guns.
If I’m left with a clean slab, my homeowners insurance won’t cover what’s in my home?
Help me out here.
As a side note, we have some RV friends that were in Kentucky last week. Their new $80,000 RV was involved in a flash flood with water to the top step.
Found out today it’s totaled.
They discovered the insurance they had, because they were saving a few bucks at renewal time was not what they thought they had. They are going to take a major hit on it.
Lesson learned is that the cheapest insurance premium may not be the best in the long run when you need it.
Buy the best, not the cheapest
I'm saying if you lose EVERYTHING, then yes, they will add additional value for your guns. If you lose a gun or two, it's worthless. You are subject to your homeowners deductible. The alternative is to get a personal articles policy for your guns. It is much more broad coverage and will have a realistic deductible.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm saying if you lose EVERYTHING, then yes, they will add additional value for your guns. If you lose a gun or two, it's worthless. You are subject to your homeowners deductible. The alternative is to get a personal articles policy for your guns. It is much more broad coverage and will have a realistic deductible.
I’ll have to make another phone call.
Understand your in the business and will take that under consideration. 👍

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got so much "stuff" I sometimes wish someone would steal it-then I wouldn't have to worry about the stuff anymore and the thief would have to worry about someone taking his stuff. Sometimes to have less is better than more.

Latest posts

Top Bottom