Back from the range with a Sig P365

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Got off work and picked up an Uplula magazine loader before heading off to the range today. These magazines are damn tough to load by hand and I had 200 rounds of 9mm to feed the Sig P365 with and another couple hundred .40sw for the Glock. Definitely worth it.

Anyway, I shot 200 and change out of the Sig. Firstly, I checked the spent steel casings for that primer smear I've heard about, and yep, it smeared the primer material all the way to the edge of the brass. Dunno how bad that really is, but figured you would want to know. I forgot to take any pictures, sorry.

The pistol didn't break or anything, but I had a good amount of brass (actually, it was steel) failing to pop out of the slide. No double feed or anything, but about 5 times or so the slide locked open with a spent casing still in the tube. It could have been the El Cheapo steel cased Winchester Ammo I got from Walmart on clearance (As if you'd turn down 150 rounds for 20 bucks, plus 10% employee discount). To clear it I had to rip the mag out and rack the slide. I did notice, however, that not one malfunction occurred when firing the 50-ish rounds of mixed Perfecta & Unknown Hollow Points....I'm gonna have to make another range trip in the near future again, but using "better" ammo instead of "fun" ammo.

I also brought my G27 and fired about 150 rounds of a mix of my reloads (sissy loads), WWB JHPs (ouch!) and Monarch brass (just right). It worked great with everything but my reloads which I suspect were too anemic because sometimes the empties would kinda plop up a few inches and land back in the action. Gonna need to fix that. The WWB tore my thumb up a little. I forget his name (not Landon, but the younger kid running the store), but he said it was Glock Bite. Not so bad now, but it did make me swap back to the Sig after every few mags.

Had lots of fun. Didn't get to shoot the Mosin I brought along since I was thirsty as hell and wanted to get back home. Also forgot entirely to put in some trigger time with the 637 I EDC (whoops). Maybe next time.

Anyway, I'm probably not going to carry the Sig P365 just yet since there seems to be some potential issues, but that's still yet to be fully determined. Any recommendations of better quality ammo to test the P365 for next time that's not real expensive? What's your defined malfunction-free round count for a gun you want to carry? Also, what do you think was the matter with my gun when it failed to extract spent casings? I think it must've been the Winchester USA Forged steel ammo since I've had the same exact problem with it in the past using a Beretta PX4 Storm.... but my Shield ate it up just fine.

I really want the Sig P365 to work since it's so nice in the hand and has the capacity it does. I was able to shoot much better with it than I did using the G27, and it didn't chew up my hand either so my hopes are high. Plus, the full box of mixed brass ammo I had ran flawlessly.

Last edited:

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's real interesting. Did you have same "primer smear" with the brass-cased ammo?

Mine has never failed in about 700-800 rounds. Well, a single semi-squib factory round caused a failure to extract, but I knew that round felt underpowered when I pulled the trigger, so I don't blame the gun.

I would be pretty hesitant if mine had failures with steel-cased ammo. I like the fact that mine is flawless, and if I had the problem you are having, I would want to run a shiteload of higher quality ammo (like 500-1000) as well as a bunch of duty ammo. I realize that may sound a bit hypocritical coming from me, knowing I haven't run that much through my gun at all, but one with those issues would just have to "prove itself" that much more to me.

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's real interesting. Did you have same "primer smear" with the brass-cased ammo?

Honestly, I didn't think to check those at the time since they were the first ones I fired (new gun excitement and all, you know) and the dirt was littered with brass casing, making the steel ones easier to find. They even had one of their employees using a brass picker-upper nearby. Apparently Friday is a big day.

I'm definitely gonna have to grab another couple hundred or so brass rounds later. I'm not as worried as you would be because I had the same kind of problems with a Beretta the last time I used this ammo, but then it was much more frequent. I know it's not exactly good results for a gun that's apparently designed to be carried 365 days a year, but I'm willing to give it a second chance. Plus, I hear Sig's customer service is very good. Not gonna toss it in the trash just yet.

edit: Oh, and I'm sure it's relevant considering the manufacturer is supposedly making "rolling" changes periodically... Mine was made on June 9th.

Last edited:

RustedBeef

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

That's the one. I've gone through 4 boxes so far in total since I've discovered it. If what you say is true, maybe there's good reason it was on clearance. But, it's what I consider to be "fun" ammo. I mean, c'mon... it does go bang.

But yeah, I'm gonna get a different kind next time to see how the Sig reacts. I've never had a problem with the "Perfecta" brand, which is supposed to be an import from Italy that's on the budget end of the scale, so I'll grab a few boxes sometime soon. Monarch is also a real good brand, one that a friend of mine buys exclusively and swears by, so I'll see about that too.

Latest posts

Top Bottom