Back surgery opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have a bulging disk and stenosis in my lumbar region. Just wondering if anyone has had surgery for either of these and was it worth it? I've heard all the horror stories of back surgery, so I'm a bit skeptical.
My brother had surgery for stenosis, when he came to, the only thing hurting was the incision. He's had excellent results for the last seven years, but it is beginning to come back on him.
On the other hand my first wife died from complications from her back surgery, although in her case the circumstances were much worse to begin with. Long story, not sure if the web has enough electrons to share it all.
I have the MRI, the doc hasn't even seen it yet. Kinda scary, looking at it makes me wonder if I should even be walking, much less laying sod, which is what I have been doing in my yard lately. I can post the picture if anyone is interested. I go back for a followup next Wednesday, McBride Clinic in Norman.
Before going to Norman I have tried acupuncture (made it worse), chiropractors (no relief), and injections from a pain management doc. The injection gave pain relief for about three days. They want to do a procedure where they partially burn nerves, the doc in Norman says NO! I'm really leery about that procedure.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
No personal experiences on my own body, but from many around me who have dealt with various spine issues and went to McBride, they would be my only choice.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
No experience with McBride's in Norman, but I am certainly a fan of McBride's in general. Had my shoulder done by one of the OKC/Edmond McBride's surgeons and was quite pleased. My wife has had two back surgeries, and we were really happy with the surgeon who did the second one. I'll PM you his info. When I found out I had some ruptured and bulging disks and degenerative disk disease and arthritis in my back, I went to see that same surgeon and he actually steered me away from surgery. Point being, he's not one of those that just thinks he has to cut on you if you come see him! I wish you the best of luck!

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They want to do a procedure where they partially burn nerves, the doc in Norman says NO! I'm really leery about that procedure.

Not sure, but are you talking about ablation ... AKA RFA, Radio Frequency Ablation? I think it's also referred to as Radio Frequency Thermocoagulation, but I may be mistaken. If so, I've had it done three or four times by two different docs. I've had varying results with it, but always got some relief, the shortest duration was probably about three months. I've also had the injections, again with varying degrees of relief, but always some. No ill effects whatsoever, but I would research the doctor doing it thoroughly! YMMV. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted!

gsarg

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've had injections and numerous ablation procedures; nothing more invasive than that. If I could get a good confidence level that major back surgery would be successful for me, I would do it in a second. I'm also looking into MSC stem cell treatments once it passes clinical trials. It's pretty common outside of the US, and many have had good results

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Back surgery has been greatly improved over the past few years so you shouldn't be too afraid of a bad outcome.
Sounds like you've found a surgeon with a good history. Just go ahead and get it done.

EDIT: That's easy for me to say, but still good advice I hope.

Last edited:

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Not sure, but are you talking about ablation ... AKA RFA, Radio Frequency Ablation? I think it's also referred to as Radio Frequency Thermocoagulation, but I may be mistaken. If so, I've had it done three or four times by two different docs. I've had varying results with it, but always got some relief, the shortest duration was probably about three months. I've also had the injections, again with varying degrees of relief, but always some. No ill effects whatsoever, but I would research the doctor doing it thoroughly! YMMV. Whatever you do, I wish you the best of luck. Keep us posted!
Yes RFA. My mother in law had it done, she couldn't feel her leg for several months. She's 92 so that may have been part of the problem.

kennedy

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've had 2 lower back surgeries for the same thing you're talking about and an artificial disc put in my neck. I would recommend it to anyone having issues. I used Dr. Michael Hahn at The Neuroscience Center by Mercy in OKC. They did the surgeries at The Oklahoma Spine Hospital. All top notch.

The sooner you get it repaired the better. More than likely with a bulging disc is it is probably into the nerves. The longer this goes on, the more nerve damage is done. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Kennedy. I’ve had 2 lower back and 1 neck for herniated discs and degenerative disc disease. The sooner you get it fixed, the better the outcome should be. Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had 2 new discs replaced in lower lumbar an a fusion using 2 titanium rods. Total of13 screws . Opened me up from the front left &below my belly button About a 6 inch incesion there. Did all the disc work through the front. Closed me up,rolled me over and made 2 small incisions lower back. Installed the rods. COMPLETE success. I have my life back. Play golf,walk and use stairs any time I want no burning numbness in lft leg. Life is good!

Latest posts

Top Bottom