Backpack Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Today I was made aware of a program that is currently ongoing in the Tulsa area for children whose parents cant afford food to feed their children and it is called the "Backpack program". $10,000 supports an entire school for an entire year at the current level of need. I would like to make a donation in OSA's name of $1,000 but I would like for this to be a group effort. I also heard some pretty shocking statistics that 1 in 4 kids under the age of 18 will receive aid in some form of sustenance assistance at some point. WIC, free school lunch, programs like this one, etc.

What the program does is purchases food for children like juice boxes, mac n cheese, and granola bars and puts them in their backpacks discreetly on Friday afternoons so that the kids will have something to eat over the weekend. During the week they get at one meal per day at least through lunch at school.

We constantly complain about the rising cost of enjoying our beloved various facets of the shooting world whether it be ammo, powder, or the cost of a good hunting lease(myself included) that we forget or lose sight of the fact that there are some who don't wonder where their next meal will come from, but will it come at all. We hear that the economy is on the up and up and yet people still post up here about job loss.

If anyone is interested in making a donation to help make sure that kids have something to eat over the weekend and don't go hungry please PM me. I will be taking donations in the form of a "gift" via my paypal over the next month and then writing a check to the organization on behalf of OSA. If 100 members can make a donation of $10 each that would be awesome, obviously, the more that you can give the better off we will be.

I know how lots of us on here feel about those on welfare and other forms of assistance(again, myself included) but it surely isn't the children's fault their parents cant get their crap together. Help me feed these kids, again these are kids right here in Oklahoma that this money will be helping, possibly people in your same neighborhood.

Thanks in advance for anyone who helps out. I will not be disclosing names of who will be making the donations or their amounts as I am not doing this for any type of recognition so this will be the only public thank you that will be given.

The German

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife is a teacher and her school has this program. When I first heard about it I did not know what to think, it was so sad. Half the time it does not just go to that kid but also younger siblings. Half the time the parents do not even realize that the kids are bringing food home.
This is not something that parents sign up for, the teachers more or less observe that the kid is always starving.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yeah we have it at my school too. It works well. The kids love it. The parents are made aware that it is happening by a letter being sent home I think, but that is it. The kids have their own backpack for the food and if they don't bring it back, they don't get food the next week. The kids that legitimately need to be on the program durn well remember their food backpacks week to week.

Latest posts

Top Bottom