Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
Actually it was done on a "smart phone" . Wen i posted this I was at work and in a hurry. Sorry you two feel I'm to stupid to participate in your forum'

Nah, not "too stupid." Just difficult to read in large doses.

I actually agree with some of what you say. Not all of it, but there is some that makes sense to me. Not that sense has anything to do with how a BG will be affected by wounds!

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I

Unfortunately that is outdated information. As new research by Michael janich (a leading edged weapons teacher and lifelong practitioner) and Chris Grosz (God rest his sole) have proven that fairbairnn's "timetable of death" was flawed. Their studies have shown that targeting the carotid artery will actually take a full minute to truly stop an attacker through blood loss. Wail according to fairbairn, a severed carotid would produce unconscious in 5 seconds and death in 12. Wail bleeding people out people might not be an affective way of ending a fight ,it will eventually cause death. A much more effective way to stop a fight is to go for the structural integrity of the body, such as major muscle groups/tendons. That way you ether destroy their ability to Effectively hold a weapon or stopping their mobility. If you cut tendons that's instant loss of function in any body part that tendon is controlling. Wen you cut major muscle groups like biceps/triceps they may still have some mobility but no strength to grip a weapon. Same with the leg's. As for the blade issue a plain edge is far superior to a fully serrated , the reasoning behind this is that serrated edge will grab loose clothing and pull it along with the blade instead of cutting through it, and wen multiple layer's are involved the blade tends to get clogged. Now if you come across a necked bad Guy that's not really an issue, but if their necked they are probably on pcp and a knife is not going to help you anyway.

While it is true that the information posted is debatable, the idea that you can cut tendons to impair function, much less large muscle groups like the biceps and triceps with a knife is pretty unlikely.

The knives that most of us carry i.e. 5" blades and under are essentially "hand assistors", nothing more.

If you have a bolo, Bowie, or kukri then the idea of cutting tendons and large muscle groups comes into play but disabling those with the knives we carry is unlikely.

I have seen somewhere on the order of 3-5 stabbings/cuttings each week for over 15 years and hospital personnel in the ER see more and I have yet to see a cutting (as opposed to stabbing) that occurred with anything smaller than a sword that disabled a body part or muscle group.

This does not mean that such cuts will not cause psychological stops which are far more likely and most likely what are observed by those who claim to have witnessed a physically disabling cut.

What this means for knife use is that you generally want your knife methodology to be point-driven rather than edge-driven i.e. stabbing vs. cutting, and you want to target the same places you would if you were using your hands to strike i.e. the face/throat and the genitals.

A simple way to remember is that you want to drive the point to a place where the suspect: a) sees b) breathes c) breeds, until you achieve the desired result.

A knife has no shock effect like a bullet i.e. rapidly expanding gasses so the only power a knife has is that with which you drive it.

Michael Brown

Coltcombat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My primary is my mind. Backup is g19.

I don't carry an actual bug. If I'm going somewhere that possibly requires 14 guns, 26 knives, 2 grenades and an airstrike.... I ain't going to that place. I might carry a bug at work(armed security), but not when I'm running down to 7-eleven down the road.

Jager85

New to the site!
Reaction score
I said knife, but I always think back to a story my uncle told me once. "The guy missed with the bat, so I stabbed him somewhere around the sternum and it went in a good bit...and wouldn't come out. It's not like the movies where people just lay down and die, no...this guy got PISSED. So now I have no other weapon and an even more pissed off attacker." So maybe training, or a good time on the 100 meter dash might be better.

bettingpython

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
S&W j frame to back up either a 1911 or XD, 2 spare mags for the primary carry plaform. A coye ridgeback and a folding knife.

The esteemed MB makes solid points about knives being hand assist tools, fine motor control and accuracy goes out the window in high adrenalin stress situations the precision necessary to work your way up an arm cutting tendons etc. goes out the window for most people, gross motor control movements are much easier to teach and train into people, and when adrenalin fueled are more than sufficient to complete the dirty work that needs to be done.

I could take a rank amateur and train them to survive the fight with simplistic skills in a relatively short time when I actively trained and taught for a JKD school in Tulsa, the esoteric fine motor control skill set of a long time classically trained martial artist looks good in the dojo and in tournaments but when your life is on the line you need the fastest most effective shock and awe attacks to be your go too tools to survive.

My first wife and I were mugged many years ago(1991) under the bridge leading to the parking area for Octoberfest, I don't remember how many attackers their were (she said 4) 2 attacked her and 2 jumped me, one wound up pulling off of her and clocking me in the back of the head with a pipe.

I was covered in blood from head to toe, none of it mine, my kabar was missing and none of the assailants was ever found to have gone to an emergency room with knife wounds so I assume my training and skills at the time were ineffective to fully end the threat even though according to her from what she could see I was ripping through them with the knife bad enough that 2 of them disengaged and I was taken out by a third that I tried to engage but failed to get to in time.

Been their and done that with a knife and multiple opponents and I consider a concussion and loss of memory to be a very hard lesson and light punishment for having on an ineffective skill set. To this day the only thing I remember is my Ex asking me if I was okay as we were sitting at a vendors table at the Octoberfest grounds waiting on the police.

Reaction score
If I'm NOT carrying a gun, the "pocket knife" I carry is a big deadly bastage - the Gerber full-sized Applegate-Fairbairn combat folder, with the back side also sharpened.

http://www.google.com/search?q=gerb...-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-05780-Applegate-Fairbairn-Combat-Folder/dp/B0019FHNH8

If I AM carrying a gun, then the backup is just a regular pocket knife, usually a Kershaw Leek, Avalanche, Needs Work, or Spec Bump.

Back in the mid-late 90s, I was a wee bit nutty, and would carry 2 pistols, a knife, & OC spray, or similar. Occasionally, just for testing / spits & giggles, I'd carry a compact Glock (primary), a baby Glock (backup), and a NAA mini-rev in the front pocket, lol.

But I don't care for OC spray anymore, because after a few years, I worry about its age, and whether I should replace the canister, and just when should I do that, etc ... It's a PITA. But I admit it would be nice to carry a non-lethal option like OC spray, particularly for dogs / minor encounters. I had a pit bull run right up to me while jogging a couple months back, while the owner was yelling at it to stop / come back. I had my Kahr on me, and luckily the dog wasn't aggressive; just wanted to smell me; but it would have gotten shot mostly likely had it attacked me.... I love dogs and I'm legally prohibited from shooting the needs-shootin party in that situation (the owner), so it'd be nice to have OC spray to try first for that kind of thing, or really any typical self-defense encounter that you don't want or need to escalate too much.

Latest posts

Top Bottom