Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't always feel comfortable making a comprehensive listing of my complete carry setup but I'll say it does include a couple of guns and a few knives. ;)

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Michael Brown, live training isn't where I got this information...this came from a deputy who lived this horific event! The deputy was patting down a subject when he assaulted the deputy with a knife (flesh wound to the left thight - not too bad) but when the BG came back and lunged forward for another thrust the knife hit the deputy's duty belt and the BG's hand moved forward, slicing the tendon's in his palm. Needless to say, the BG gave up the fight since he was experiencing excruciating pain in the palm of his right hand. Street incidents beat "live training" any day of the week. I could also tell you another "war story" for all you .45 ACP fans out there...an officer I know personally shot a BG in the throat with a .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot from a Colt Commander and he is alive today! He spent 6 years in prison and talks with a kinda growl, but he's still alive. Now the officer carries a S&W .44 Magnum on duty:gun1: and says he always will.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 'em down said:
Michael Brown, live training isn't where I got this information...this came from a deputy who lived this horific event! The deputy was patting down a subject when he assaulted the deputy with a knife (flesh wound to the left thight - not too bad) but when the BG came back and lunged forward for another thrust the knife hit the deputy's duty belt and the BG's hand moved forward, slicing the tendon's in his palm. Needless to say, the BG gave up the fight since he was experiencing excruciating pain in the palm of his right hand. Street incidents beat "live training" any day of the week. I could also tell you another "war story" for all you .45 ACP fans out there...an officer I know personally shot a BG in the throat with a .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot from a Colt Commander and he is alive today! He spent 6 years in prison and talks with a kinda growl, but he's still alive. Now the officer carries a S&W .44 Magnum on duty:gun1: and says he always will.

Oh jeez....
Anyone want to take this one?
:anyone:

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Before the pissing match ensues...

Don't discount the value of live full contact FOF training.
Anecdotes from the street are important,no question,and there is much information to be learned from them.
However,preparedness trumps hindsight in my book.

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 'em down said:
no...I think one would probably do the trick. Even if they didn't die, they will wish like hell that they did! They for sure won't want to get up and take another one! :faint:

The outcome would have most likely been the same regardless of either of those calibers,FWIW.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I totally agree. Training DONE CORRECTLY is vital! BUT not everybody takes it as serious as they should. Is shooting a paper target (that doesn't shoot back) proper training? But in small town agencies (like mine) that's all the training they supply. Even CLEET does half assed training! During custody control, we had to apply all of these fancy holds and moves on a partner that stood there and let you with no resistance...how's that for training?

J.P.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 'em down said:
I totally agree. Training DONE CORRECTLY is vital! BUT not everybody takes it as serious as they should. Is shooting a paper target (that doesn't shoot back) proper training? But in small town agencies (like mine) that's all the training they supply. Even CLEET does half assed training! During custody control, we had to apply all of these fancy holds and moves on a partner that stood there and let you with no resistance...how's that for training?

You need to hook up with Mike Brown. ;)
(we all do)
www.thepraesidiumgroup.com

Latest posts

Top Bottom