Backup weapon knife or gun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you carry for a backup weapon

• Another Gun

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • A knife

Votes: 109 46.8%
  • Both

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 21 9.0%

• Total voters

Michael Brown

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 'em down said:
Michael Brown, live training isn't where I got this information...this came from a deputy who lived this horific event! The deputy was patting down a subject when he assaulted the deputy with a knife (flesh wound to the left thight - not too bad) but when the BG came back and lunged forward for another thrust the knife hit the deputy's duty belt and the BG's hand moved forward, slicing the tendon's in his palm. Needless to say, the BG gave up the fight since he was experiencing excruciating pain in the palm of his right hand. Street incidents beat "live training" any day of the week. I could also tell you another "war story" for all you .45 ACP fans out there...an officer I know personally shot a BG in the throat with a .45 ACP Speer Gold Dot from a Colt Commander and he is alive today! He spent 6 years in prison and talks with a kinda growl, but he's still alive. Now the officer carries a S&W .44 Magnum on duty:gun1: and says he always will.

Having been a police officer in a large metropolitan city for about 12 years and having worked a variety of assignments (patrolman, detective, undercover, patrol supervisor) I have my share of war stories and have heard more than my fair share.

I have come to recognize that war stories are really only useful to those who've lived them and to those insightful enough to glean what is really important from them. Other than that, they're really just good stories.

If you have not done so, please read the previous posts in the Firearm Training section regarding a number of these issues so we do not have to re-hash them.

Be sure to change the thread selection to from the beginning so you can see all the threads so far.

In particular look for "The Criminal Paradigm" and "5 Clues that Training is Not Realistic".

Michael Brown

kgull85

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glock 'em down said:
:cannon: It would be like getting hit in the chest with a sledge hammer!

I know you are exagerating a bit, but no handgun ground is going to knock someone to the ground by sheer force of impact. The mental part of getting shot might make someone go down or getting hit in the head or spine, but the force of the bullet hitting them is not going to knock them down. If it did then the shooter would likely be on the ground too.

roachjuice

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i chose knife. i have a ka bar tdi and i like it. its not bad to carry. real quick to draw and looks like it can do some damage. i havent had to use it yet. but i dont have my ccw yet so this is my primary weapon for now till i get a pistol and a ccw.

sdalover

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I totally agree. Training DONE CORRECTLY is vital! BUT not everybody takes it as serious as they should. Is shooting a paper target (that doesn't shoot back) proper training? But in small town agencies (like mine) that's all the training they supply. Even CLEET does half assed training! During custody control, we had to apply all of these fancy holds and moves on a partner that stood there and let you with no resistance...how's that for training?

I'm starting to realize from meeting LEO from around the country, having LEO friends, and from reading your above comments, that many LEO are sent into harms way without all the necessary and or available training for saving their own lives. This however doesn't and shouldn't stop you from seeking out training on your own. There are tremendous opportunities around the country and especially right here in Oklahoma. I would recommend CQT240 at USSA.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
wow! a four year old thread is breathing new life. ok,i'll play. a g27 or s&w j-frame with a beretta 22 as backup. i almost always have some sort of knife within arms reach.

jtyler05si

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry a pocket knife, but I don't plan to use it as a defensive weapon plainly for the fact that I lack the training to do so. If I had no other choice than so be it. I would rather find my way out of a fight than get myself into a knife fight. If I can't leave and someone takes it to the next level, I trust my abilities with ranged attacks over my hand to hand skills. I'm definitely not against getting the training, I just don't have the time or money right now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom