Bacon Grease

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Foreman grill is where I like to cook my bacon.
I cook it on a medium setting as to not burn it or the drippings which I do save of course.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember my mom always fried bacon in a cast iron skillet and she'd save every drop of bacon grease in a coffee can under the kitchen sink and she'd use it for cooking different things.

You haven't lived till you've tasted chicken, salmon croquettes or potatoes fried in bacon grease.....she'd also smear bacon grease all over well scrubbed potatoes prior to putting them in the oven to bake and it made the skins crispy and delicious.

When we had fried salt pork and fried cornmeal mush patties for supper she'd also make a salad with lettuce, sliced radishes and chopped green onions and pour the hot salt pork grease over the salad as a salad dressing.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I can remember my mom always fried bacon in a cast iron skillet and she'd save every drop of bacon grease in a coffee can under the kitchen sink and she'd use it for cooking different things.

You haven't lived till you've tasted chicken, salmon croquettes or potatoes fried in bacon grease.....she'd also smear bacon grease all over well scrubbed potatoes prior to putting them in the oven to bake and it made the skins crispy and delicious.

When we had fried salt pork and fried cornmeal mush patties for supper she'd also make a salad with lettuce, sliced radishes and chopped green onions and pour the hot salt pork grease over the salad as a salad dressing.

Your mom cooked just like mine!
I broke ranks the other day and cocked some bacon in the dehydrator. 2 hours on 160. Kind of a bacon jerky but man, what a different flavor. Good stuff.
Lots of black pepper and garlic powder on the bacon.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife still saves the bacon grease. However, since it is just the two of us and I'm the primary consumer of bacon, she is using a fairly small glass jar. On occasion, she saves enough that when we are going to visit her middle sister in Colorado, she takes a jar up with us to give to said sister.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Same here, though Mom had a regular grease can with the strainer on top to catch bits. I don't remember her ever frying foods in anything else.
:thumb:

Latest posts

Top Bottom