Bad Boy Mower, or......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So, been looking at zero turn mowers for a while now. Have researched Scag, Hustler, Ferris, Bad Boy, Kubota, Grasshopper and a few others. My wife is hot to get a mower as she thinks if we don't get one real soon we'll get way behind. So, in the next week or so I need to make a decision. Here's the question I have for you more experienced with zero turns.

We want to keep the purchase at $10K or less. Get the best quality, reputation and performance for this budget. So far my research is pointing me to the Bad Boy Rebel mower with a 72" deck, Kawasaki 999 cc air-cooled engine with a lot of other nice features. Is there another similarly equipped zero turn with these features that is in the $10K price point that you would recommend over the Bad Boy Rebel? Thanks for the help.

What we are looking at.
https://www.badboymowers.com/zero-turn-mowers/commercial/rebel-lawn-mower

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've been running the Bad Boy with the 28hp gas engine and 60" deck for close to 12 years now with only one issue and that was the switch that runs the deck up and down. Kohler engine mowing around 2 acres until time to mow the right of way which adds another two+ acres. $5 price tag when bought probably a little higher now.
Buddy has a Grasshopper diesel with a 72" deck that is impressive. Price difference is about $10,000.

Yeti695

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
We love our 54 inch bad boy got it fr about 5k a few years ago. For the 2 acres we mow it takes about 2 hours. But we have alot of fencing and other things to go around. Only problem we had is the blade height nob. Got it fixed and works great. Our neighbor has a grasshopper commercial version. And it was about double the price of ours 3 years before we bought ours. Ours cuts as well as his IMO.

Last edited:

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The diesels are nice and you can almost mow a forest of trees with some of them. I've run two Kubotas for about 5 years now with no issues at all. Parts are all readily available and if you talk to someone with a Kubota tractor they'll tell you they're tough as nails.
Check the steel thickness on the mowers when you're shopping. Some of them are paper thin, especially around the bumpers, guards, and front wheels where you need it the most.

Another thing, I put a towing hitch on my Kubota and use it to tow a little wood trailer, my log splitter, my wood chipper, and move other stuff around my dirt plot. It pulls like a beast with a good set of tires.

Your wife's always right, you know. Spring is here and it'll sure catch up to you if you don't jump pretty quick.

16colt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have had a Bad Boy Outlaw XP for around 5 years. It has a 61” deck. I will say that the cut is not as smooth as my Dixie Chopper, but I would buy the Bad Boy again. My “lawn” is not the most level (or rock free) as most, and I believe the Bad Boy is a good choice as it is more heavily built w/ a thicker deck than most mowers I‘ve seen.

Fro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve had my Husler for going on 17 years with out any problems. Besides oil changes and replacing the belt and blades its been trouble free. It has a heavy welded deck that’ll last forever but if the grass is wet it’ll clump up around the edge of the deck.
I was looking at a nice commercial grade John Deere that had a heavy stamped deck that looked nice and tough.
I’d stay away from any of the consumer grade mowers like you find at Lowes and elsewhere.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My in-laws bought a Bad Boy 7-8 years ago. That thing works great if you take care of it. Very fun to use.

We're in the market for a new mower as well. The deck on our Cub Cadet that we've had since bought new in 2007 finally rusted out and fell apart.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My son does commercial. He had a John Deere, Bad Boy and Cub Cadet.
He SAYS the Bad Boy is the best, but he always unloads the John Deere first.
If it is massive overgrown and possibility of unseen obstacles. He uses the Cub Cadet. He doesn't mind banging it up.

Latest posts

Top Bottom