Bad Boy Mower, or......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 2020 Hustler Raptor with a 52” deck and Kawasaki 23Hp motor. It is excellent. The deck is welded and built very well. It was $3000. My cousin has a Gravely and loves it. But I will say the mower I see the most being used by professionals is Kubota. I’ve looked at John Deere’s and they looked super cheap made. And they are ridiculously overpriced.

MacFromOK

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't forget air conditioning... :lookaroun

mower-AC.jpg

___

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Parks,
How's the mower line-up looking?
Have you narrowed it down to 2 or 3?
...do you keep going back to the one you really like?

If needed, I'm sure one of us can set up a poll to choose for you!
: )

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
K. Since you're concerned about added silly features, mine also has a USB port.
My Huslter has 3 cup holders and 18,400 fps blade tip speed.

I’m surprised nobody mentioned the blade tip speed, but most here are interested in clearing grass quickly and not necessarily the perfection of the cut. I would consider my yard as manicured and not cut when I’m done. When my blades start up it sounds like a jet engine winding up. I have slightly more than an acre and I chose a 48” deck due to the quality of cut. I also use high lift blades because they will disperse grass clippings out a good 30 feet.

My Hustler is a 2006 model with a 19hp Kawasaki.

I’ve ran mobil 1 since I bought it used a couple years old. I’ve replaced the electric belt clutch drive a few years ago and both upper and lower crankshaft seals recently. Other than that, oil changes and new blades every year.

The one thing I don’t like is the welded fabricated deck design. It is a bulletproof design as far as toughness but there are a lot of 90 degree angles on the deck. Wet grass will accumulate under the deck and me being anal about maintenance and the quality of cut, I’ll put the mower on my car lift and scrape the grass that has stuck to the deck.

Hustler used very good quality spindles and knock on wood I haven’t had to change out. My aunt who lives next door has a larger yard and has a 72in commercial grade Gravely. I’ve had to replace all three of spindles and the 26hp Koehler seized up just shy of 500 hours. I tore the Koehler engine down and found the crank rides directly on the aluminum block housing with no crank bearings. It’s a very cheap design and after taking to Koehler directly was told that engine was designed with a 500 hour engine life. Go figure, at least the engineers almost nailed that one.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Mr. Parks,
How's the mower line-up looking?
Have you narrowed it down to 2 or 3?
...do you keep going back to the one you really like?

If needed, I'm sure one of us can set up a poll to choose for you!
: )
Ha! Made the decision and picked up the Bad Boy Rebel that I mentioned in the first post. 72" deck with 35hp Kawasaki. Brought it home today and mowed half our grass that requires a mower. Probably about 2.5 acres and took about 45 minutes with some screwing around on it and being extra careful. I realized I'm probably going to go through some blades at first until I get all the gopher mounds knocked down and crap I didn't see get mowed over (smallish sandstone rocks, larger sticks and a few other non-mowable things). I was surprised at how fast this thing is (mostly because it was my first time on a ZT). It was a great experience but just trying to figure everything out and the operations of it to mower smoother and more efficient. I'm super happy with it so far.

Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 7.jpg
Pic 6.jpg

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
FWIW I think you did a good choice. The 72” cut will be good for the size yard and pasture. The commercial grade should make this the last zt mower you will ever buy. Get a good weed eater and you are set.

Latest posts

Top Bottom