Bad Boy Mower, or......?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many acres do you have? Less than two a 54” May do well for you. 1/2 acre in a subdivision and you really need very little. We use a 60” Hustler One rear discharge to just over two acres and will use it for pasture work as well. In laws have 60” bad boy, works well but they set it up mulch. It can bog down. About three acres and no good for field due to setup.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had good luck with a Bad Boy Mower, parts are available on Amazon. I was going to have to replace it after 10 years, last summer, and after looking around a lot, I settled on a Kabota, a really well built mower, and very user friendly. but you can only get parts from Kabota, The model I was going to buy is about $5,300.00, which is roughly comparable to most brands, for this size mower. I'm 75 years old I think, and have a little money put back, and it suddenly occured to me, how many times could I have my lawn mowed and trimmed, for $5300.00 plus all the Gasoline, oil, parts, etc. it would cost for me to do it! As it turned out I can have it mowed, and trimmed, for about 7/8 years, for that amout of money, while I set in the house with the AC going, and watch out the window. If I'm still kicking in 7/8 years, the new mower I was going to buy would be worn out, and so would I, and I would have to buy another! I called a lawn service, and this young man came out to give an estimate, and ended up buying a backhoe and dump truck I was thinking about selling! These YOUNG ENERGETIC GUYS keep my lawn looking better than I did, and just take care of it, even if we are gone somewhere!

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The Rebel looks good. Which dealer are you buying from?
Sutton Tractor is the closest to Sapulpa. They guy, Tim, may be the owner seemed nice and knowledgeable. They had BB unit in stock with the features we wanted. Pretty good supply of all the mowers they represented.

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
How many acres do you have? Less than two a 54” May do well for you. 1/2 acre in a subdivision and you really need very little. We use a 60” Hustler One rear discharge to just over two acres and will use it for pasture work as well. In laws have 60” bad boy, works well but they set it up mulch. It can bog down. About three acres and no good for field due to setup.

It's hard to figure total acres because it is so broken up but with all nicely groomed areas it's probably in the 4-5 acre range. If I do some of the nicer pastures it could potentially bump it up to well over 10 total. The nicer pastures still outside of the nicely groomed areas still need to be walked to make sure there are no small rocks and stumps not visible but that can do some damage to a zero turn.

Louro

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I own a BB Outlaw with the Kawasaki engine for the 4 years without any issue. I usually cut around 5 acres. My only grumble is that the cup holder is to small for the 40 oz.

Spider27monkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Bought my Deere z515e last spring. 54 inch deck makes short work of mowing my property which is just shy of 2 acres. And yes the cup holders are large enough for a large beverage.

Attachments

• z515e.png
    z515e.png
    724.1 KB · Views: 12

scott024

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For 10k you can almost buy 2 Gravely/Ariens commercial 60" mowers with Kawasaki or Kohler engine. I have 2 and they are built well. I can mow 11 acres with one in 6-7 hours (lots of trees). I bought a second one when the oldest turned 11. The boys mow the yard now, and they can do it in under 3 hours.

I had a Hustler 72" diesel and it was an absolute beast, but it was water cooled and the cotton wood would clog up the radiator. Had to blow it out every hour while mowing in June.

Most mowers now use the same parts/transmissions/hydraulics/motors/electrical components. You pay an upcharge for big name brands.

-Pjackso

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
....Most mowers now use the same parts/transmissions/hydraulics/motors/electrical components. You pay an upcharge for big name brands.

If your budget is $10K, you are definitely buying mid-grade equipment. (i.e. not entry level)
At that level - most everything will be comparable in terms of construction and quality - and I don't think your find much (if any) significant differences.

My recommendations, in order:
1) The warranty timeline (x-yrs) is very carefully chosen by the manufacturer, and for very good reasons (based on engineering reliability data). This factor should be strongly considered.
2) Identify what established dealers are local with a good parts inventory department. You will need spare parts, and sometimes online shipping takes too long.
3) Pick the color of tractor you like best. (I didn't say BRAND - because they're mostly equal)

Note: I'm discussing functional differences in the equipment.
If you're concerned about 'cup-holders' stuff - well, .....that's just silly stuff in my opinion.

Good luck!

Older threads, for your convenience:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/zero-turn-mower-advice.297797/https://www.okshooters.com/threads/lawn-tractors.277824/

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like you are dead on with size and found something you like. Every make has good and bad examples. BB is similar to how Hustler used to be. Take care of it, keep up maintenance, inside kept, do not loan it out, it will last very well. Sutton seemed nice to me the two times I was there. We just found better deals closer to home for our needs.

Spider27monkey

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If your budget is $10K, you are definitely buying mid-grade equipment. (i.e. not entry level)
At that level - most everything will be comparable in terms of construction and quality - and I don't think your find much (if any) significant differences.

My recommendations, in order:
1) The warranty timeline (x-yrs) is very carefully chosen by the manufacturer, and for very good reasons (based on engineering reliability data). This factor should be strongly considered.
2) Identify what established dealers are local with a good parts inventory department. You will need spare parts, and sometimes online shipping takes too long.
3) Pick the color of tractor you like best. (I didn't say BRAND - because they're mostly equal)

Note: I'm discussing functional differences in the equipment.
If you're concerned about 'cup-holders' stuff - well, .....that's just silly stuff in my opinion.

Good luck!

Older threads, for your convenience:
https://www.okshooters.com/threads/zero-turn-mower-advice.297797/https://www.okshooters.com/threads/lawn-tractors.277824/
K. Since you're concerned about added silly features, mine also has a USB port.

Latest posts

Top Bottom