Bad Experience At Big Boys Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbaturbo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't talk much in stores but I don't remember ever having a bad interaction with any employee at Big Boys or H&H. I have seen (and heard) some pretty sketchy shooters on both ranges. I like the Big Boys range a lot better than H&H. I can only remember one strange encounter at Outdoor America, the store that everybody seemed to hate. I went in looking for some handgun grips for a S&W revolver and got such a snarling, condescending response that even one of the other salesmen looked at the guy with surprise. Only saw that guy there one time though. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Last edited:

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry about your experience at Big Boys. I have bought several firearms there and used their range several times. Only once I called in advance to see if I could shoot a Mossberg Shockwave and was told I could, but when I was getting it out on the line, the RO told me I couldn’t shoot it there no matter what I was told on the phone. Other than that one time I have had no problems. Mike has always been very helpful.
As far as Canadian Ranges goes, I was a Firearms Examiner for 25 years at OCPD and OSBI and I have looked down more muzzles at that range than I did in the firearms lab. That is a place I’ll never cast a shadow on again.

HoLeChit

Here for Frens
Special Hen
Reaction score
Be my guest at the OKC Gun Club next trip. Might be a shorter drive, can shoot faster and "most" of the folks so far have no pink hair! I cant get out there much during the week as I work too much, but unless there is a yuge shoot going on, I can walk on to any range and almost have it to myself.

Honestly, It was the best decision I've made with regards to shooting. I've had horrible experiences at Big Boys, H&H and Wilshire only to go back against my better judgement, and had a great experience. I've had one of the those tacticool guys at Wilshire screwing off on his cell phone while trying to ring me up to shoot and call him out on it only to have him tell me I was shooting too fast before I ever fired a shot. Sounds like you dealt with his sister!

Public ranges are becoming a game of Russian Roulette. My days at Banner/Sears/Canadian are done. The 2nd time I was hanging a target on the 100 yard and had someone start shooting, made me question why this was happening a 2nd time. Unless the old Trooper is running the line, good luck with a cold range.

Couple million new gun owners brings all walks of life and a lack of training.
I think it’s a little silly that you can rent machine guns at Wilshire, but can’t rapid fire semi autos. I’ve never had an issue there though. I typically can pay for an hour on the 101 yard range and get and hour and a half or two, I’ve only twice been charged for extra time or told my time was up.
At Canadian valley, you never go by yourself. Always leave armed and trusted person/people behind at the line to protect your 6.

Yep, as stated previously unless the very crotchety old man is working the line, I’ve had very similar instances to @rockchalk06. Hadn’t been back since the second time it happened.
Between the shady characters, morons, and that old man, I rarely go to Canadian valley any more. Even with the drive from Edmond now it’s still cheaper than wilshire, but man, I cannot stand 25% of the people that go there and cannot stand the old man.

El Pablo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I think it’s a little silly that you can rent machine guns at Wilshire, but can’t rapid fire semi autos. I’ve never had an issue there though. I typically can pay for an hour on the 101 yard range and get and hour and a half or two, I’ve only twice been charged for extra time or told my time was up.

Between the shady characters, morons, and that old man, I rarely go to Canadian valley any more. Even with the drive from Edmond now it’s still cheaper than wilshire, but man, I cannot stand 25% of the people that go there and cannot stand the old man.
It was fun when there would be 10-20 of us there from osa there. We still always left someone behind when we went down range to watch for idiots.

xseler

These are not the firearms you're looking for.
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I will say something about the snow/ice issue, if anyone cares. My sister who is an attorney told me once a company or owner clears off that type of stuff then they are responsible for any injuries. If they do nothing they are not responsible

This is true. If no human intervenes, it's an act of nature. If you scrape and miss a spot, that's on you.

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
This is true. If no human intervenes, it's an act of nature. If you scrape and miss a spot, that's on you.
Makes sense in today’s world. I just hope no one fell and got hurt yesterday unless it was pink haired fat girl but I suspect she has sufficient padding to prevent injury.

Latest posts

Top Bottom