Bad Experience At Big Boys Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadhall Range

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Ponca City gun club range has zero restrictions on time between shots. With provided steel and target stands, one can set up a steel challenge stage or a USPSA stage on their own and fire at will.
And is not a public range. :) Which is perfectly fine. :) They do, however, still have rules. Cold range, must be an NRA member, can't be handling firearms while someone is down range, etc. They also probably have someone there full time to keep an eye on things and people because unfortunately even on a members only range you can't always count on people not doing dumb crap.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And is not a public range. :) Which is perfectly fine. :) They do, however, still have rules. Cold range, must be an NRA member, can't be handling firearms while someone is down range, etc. They also probably have someone there full time to keep an eye on things and people because unfortunately even on a members only range you can't always count on people not doing dumb crap.
Nope, nobody is there full time. It's an honor system that has been working very well for the 60 some years this range has been in existence. All new members have to go through a day of training where each rule is gone over in detail and they sign off that they understand and will help maintain the rules.
Sure we have the occasional jerk shoot up a target stand. It's annoying but repairable.
Evidently it's working as my multiple visits to the range over the years as VP for three years and President for four years show people really following the range safety rules that are posted at each bay, calling for a cease fire if needed, firearms unloaded and not touched when someone is down range changing targets etc. I've seen some folks that want to look through their scope or something while others are downrange get quickly reminded to back off and not touch the firearm.
Nobody is barking orders through a bullhorn or anything close. It's all personal responsibility.
I'd like to give you a personal tour and some shooting time to check out our range sometime if your in the Ponca area one of these days. :D

Last edited:

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
Nope, nobody is there full time. It's an honor system that has been working very well for the 60 some years this range has been in existence. All new members have to go through a day of training where each rule is gone over in detail and they sign off that they understand and will help maintain the rules.
Sure we have the occasional jerk shoot up a target stand. It's annoying but repairable.
Evidently it's working as my multiple visits to the range over the years as VP for three years and President for four years show people really following the range safety rules that are posted at each bay, calling for a cease fire if needed, firearms unloaded and not touched when someone is down range changing targets etc. I've seen some folks that want to look through their scope or something while others are downrange get quickly reminded to back off and not touch the firearm.
Nobody is barking orders through a bullhorn or anything close. It's all personal responsibility.
I'd like to give you a personal tour and some shooting time to check out our range sometime if your in the Ponca area one of these days. :D
Same could be said for OKC gun club for the most part. I’m not a member there now since I don’t shoot very often. I understand why ranges have rules. What I don’t understand is poor customer service and uncaring attitudes by retail range employees that are charging for their service. Thinking back on this incident I could have handled it differently by slowing down way under 1 round per second. She could have handled it differently by not shirking off my comment about the ice and being more courteous about why she thought I was shooting too fast. She definitely should not have lost her temper and told me to “pack my ****”. The Manager was nice and polite enough but was worthless when it came to making any decision. I suspect she’s a problem employee and very likely a relative of someone in charge. Maybe not.

Meadhall Range

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's awesome Dennis. I don't get out that way all that often but if I do I might take you up on that. :) It is always good to hear when something is working well at a range. If you are out my way give me a holler and I'll give you the nickel tour out here. :) I likely don't have the amount of bays/space you do out there but I hear my place ain't bad :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom