Bad Experience At Big Boys Today

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I would try joining a club in a heartbeat but every one I'm aware of requires NRA membership which I've sworn off
The reason the Ponca City range requires NRA membership is because the NRA insurance is the only insurance the range can afford.
In response to some members that had became disgruntled with the NRA I went to a couple of independent insurance agents to see who would insure the range and at what cost.
Only one insurance company offered to insure the range but the cost would be over $100,000 a year.
I suspect the same situation exists with the other gun clubs you mentioned.

Snake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The reason the Ponca City range requires NRA membership is because the NRA insurance is the only insurance the range can afford.
In response to some members that had became disgruntled with the NRA I went to a couple of independent insurance agents to see who would insure the range and at what cost.
Only one insurance company offered to insure the range but the cost would be over $100,000 a year.
I suspect the same situation exists with the other gun clubs you mentioned.
So what happens when/if NRA is sued out of existence?

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Good question I don’t have an answer for.
I don’t know if the NRA insurance is a department within the NRA main business or if it’s a group of underwriters contracted to them that are somewhat independent.
I feel like with the influx of people in a lot of states, some Dem is going to buy the property behind the berm and build a house before the NRA insurance gets cancelled.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I feel like with the influx of people in a lot of states, some Dem is going to buy the property behind the berm and build a house before the NRA insurance gets cancelled.
Highly possible at some ranges. I think Ponca is pretty safe though. The far south end of the property is in the salt fork river flood plain and is underwater quite often during the wet season. It’s also tribal grounds.

PBramble

Let's Eat
Special Hen
Reaction score
Highly possible at some ranges. I think Ponca is pretty safe though. The far south end of the property is in the salt fork river flood plain and is underwater quite often during the wet season. It’s also tribal grounds.
That sounds ideal. Our range is ony 200 yards long (bench rest shooters) but somebody bought the property north of it and built a wedding venue. They ***** about the shooting constantly and tell the local law enforcement that bullets hit their house and business, yet have no proof or holes. The owner has considered closure several times and I think it's due to this.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
A commercial range I frequented, had been in existence for 10 years. A developer bought property on East side and built homes. The residents complained, took case to court.

Judge said range was well established when they moved in. He was legal to operate.

Developer bought North side. Repeat complaints. Range sent copy of court ruling to every house.

Developer bought South property. More complaints, nothing changed.

Developer bought West property. Tried to get City Council to intervene. Range threatened to sue City. Judge backed him.

Developer starts to try to buy him out. Rallies home owners to harass range. Show up at City Council.

Range owner was ready to retire. Told Developer that he was willing to sell, at 2 1/2 times appraised price. Developer paid it.

He moved 8 miles, bought property, built new range, with plenty left over.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom