Bad Guy With A Gun Stopped by Marine Using Hand To Hand Combat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The convenience store customer greatly increased the odds of himself and others getting hurt or killed. If my wife and kids were there and took a rouge round because he decided to be a hero he is assuming that responsibility also. This is not too far fetched considering he tried to grab it while it was being pointed towards the back of the store My opinion given the information at hand is too little reward for too much risk.
That's not how it works. The robber is 100% responsible for any negative outcomes stemming from his violent felony. Legally, morally and ethically.

As far as I'm concerned, NONE of us were there. He was. We don't have the benefit of the complete picture. We have a narrowly framed CCTV view of the event, which isn't enough input to say what he was or wasn't aware of, consciously or subconsciously.

This man was just interviewed live on FOX 5 minutes ago. He talked about his military training and said it really was of limited benefit. He said he takes his safety and the safety of those around him very seriously, which is what allowed him to assess the situation and act decisively. He had that OODA Loop going full tilt.

But it was his sign off line that had me thinking "Just like a Marine" and got a laugh out of Dana Perino. His final words?

"Oh and EPSTIEN DIDN'T KILL HIMSELF!" :D

Pstmstr

AKA Michael Cox. Back by popular demand.
Special Hen Banned
Reaction score
I said the same thing the night my oldes was conceived

What does him being a marine have anything to do with his actions? He want to basic and now he is a master of hand to hand combat ? My guess is odds are high he was actually a fry cook in the corps because all the marines I’ve met would of handled the situation a little smarter.
Exactly. He was brave to take the action but hand to hand combat is a stretch. I was a Marine and they taught us next to nothing on hand to hand combat. It turned out well for him. Not so much if the 2nd guy had any balls.

CC379

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Whatever the Marine had in the bag in his right hand looked to be substantial, enough so that he did appear to use it to whack the punk up the side of his empty head anyway. I won't say it was a good decision or a bad decision...I wasn't there ; none of us were. I'm just saying that he obviously made a split second decision and carried it out with speed and violence of action. Some of you just don't get it though. The Marine in the video in the link below does though.

when I was in 4th grade the preachers son pulled a knife on me and one of my friends he was backing us up I had my fist doubled up and I noticed every time my fists moved his eyes locked on them, I thought well he is watching my fists but not my feet, I moved my fist his eyes locked on and I kicked his hand the knife flew about 20foot the kid grasped his hand in pain and ran off, I went and grabbed the knife then realized I might be in trouble so I threw the knife as far as I could, it was kind of strange because in my mind when I noticed he was watching my hands not feet, my foot was already flying towards his hand before my thought process had finished the word feet.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I said the same thing the night my oldes was conceived

What does him being a marine have anything to do with his actions? He want to basic and now he is a master of hand to hand combat ? My guess is odds are high he was actually a fry cook in the corps because all the marines I’ve met would of handled the situation a little smarter.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen other news articles or something that indicated that the Marine in question ONLY had Basic Training? Is it possible that he was in long enough or in the right units to have received extra training in hand to hand combat?

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, have you seen other news articles or something that indicated that the Marine in question ONLY had Basic Training? Is it possible that he was in long enough or in the right units to have received extra training in hand to hand combat?
Basic training in the Army we had lots of training with hand to hand combat.
Pugil sticks, bayonet, and actual taking away a weapon from someone at close range.
I'm sure the training now has morphed into more technique like training with pistols today vs the early 70's.
This Marine at his age has likely experienced the latest training and it showed.

Latest posts

Top Bottom