Bad Remington round...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my newest 300 Blackout build out for a test run and to get the scope sighted in. I always run the cheap Remington ammo (120 gr OTFB) through for the first time and to get on paper. The rifle performed flawlessly, and 19 of the 20 rounds were a non-issue. However, when I pulled the trigger on that one round, it was loud as hell and kicked like a 308. I noticed that the bolt didn’t close all the way following that round, so I dropped the mag and cleared the chamber to see what had gone wrong. To my surprise, the primer from the previous round was lodged in the feed ramps. I then searched for the case, which showed signs of high pressure. I inspected all of the cases fired prior to that one and they all checked out just fine. After inspecting the rifle, all was fine with it as well. I then finished the mag with no more issues. Upon checking my target, the bad round hit about 9 inches higher than all the others. That’s a big change at 100 yards!

I am thinking this had to be an over charge from the factory. Maybe a double charge, but can’t imagine the case having the capacity to hold 30+ grains of powder. Has anyone else ever experienced something like this from a factory round?

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
And if anyone is interested, the build components are:

Spikes lower
Aero upper
Noveske bolt
16” medium weight MAS barrel, mid-length gas port

adamsredlines

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Factory rounds arent immune to issues...but I'd say they are fewer and further between than reloads or small-time operations.
I've had nothing but good luck with the Remington 120gr 300BO.

(We had a Red Army Standard factory loads...one wouldnt load into the mag properly and when I inspected it, the bullet fell out of the end of the case. Looked inside the case, and there was ANOTHER bullet shoved down in there...2 projectiles in one case. Scary stuff)

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Factory rounds arent immune to issues...but I'd say they are fewer and further between than reloads or small-time operations.
I've had nothing but good luck with the Remington 120gr 300BO.

(We had a Red Army Standard factory loads...one wouldnt load into the mag properly and when I inspected it, the bullet fell out of the end of the case. Looked inside the case, and there was ANOTHER bullet shoved down in there...2 projectiles in one case. Scary stuff)

I’ve never had an issue with that Remington ammo either, until this one, and I’ve been shooting it for at least 3 years.

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Now, that IS spooky!!!

I have shot a little bit of that Remington load with no issues ... but probably only forty rounds or so.

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My last session with my 686 had a dud round. It was a WWB 38 from WallyWorld. Also, many years ago my brother had a bad batch of Federal Monark 38's. Several of them had no powder, and their primers drove the bullets part-way down the barrel of his Model 36. Good thing he wasn't shooting rapid fire.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There have been many times ammo gets a recall.
I really do not like factory ammo.
You can and you should contact the ammo manufacturer and tell them.. you can do it in an e mail.
Neighbor gave me some Hornady 30-30 cases almost all were split before the shoulder.
This was LeverEvolution cases.. he sent them back To hornady and they sent him 2 20 count boxes to shoot in his gun.
One box they wanted the cases back to make sure determine if it was gun or ammo.. it was ammo.

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I was a new shooter (1970's) I had a hangfire with a Remington 357 mag 158 gr soft point.
I pulled the trigger, the hammer fell, but no ignition.I had been taught to keep the revolver pointed downrange and wait 30 seconds. I started counting to 30 - at 8 it went off.
In all the years and thousands of round since that has never happened to me again.

Latest posts

Top Bottom