Baitcaster vs Spinning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
So, I started the trip into the baitcaster world.... Pretty sure I hate the things, except for when they work (or I work them) just right. Then I absolutely love them. My first was a Abu Garcia Black Max combo, and it works well, but only with lures over a half ounce. Have a really nice rod that is made for lighter lures, and just ordered a cheaper Shimano reel. (Cheaper being a relative term) I tried a garage sale special, Quantum something or other, it was terrible.....

My question is, for the baitcaster guys, how long did it take you to really get used to them, and any tips? I'm good with the Abu, but still manage a good backlash now and then.

What are the benefits of them or of not using them?

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So, I started the trip into the baitcaster world.... Pretty sure I hate the things, except for when they work (or I work them) just right. Then I absolutely love them. My first was a Abu Garcia Black Max combo, and it works well, but only with lures over a half ounce. Have a really nice rod that is made for lighter lures, and just ordered a cheaper Shimano reel. (Cheaper being a relative term) I tried a garage sale special, Quantum something or other, it was terrible.....

My question is, for the baitcaster guys, how long did it take you to really get used to them, and any tips? I'm good with the Abu, but still manage a good backlash now and then.

What are the benefits of them or of not using them?

Oh, just 5 or 6 years. :)

There are several benefits to a baitcaster, but it depends on how you're using them. You tend to have greater line capacity and drag capability for the size and weight vs. spinning. The biggest benefit is pinpoint accuracy when casting to visible structure, and the ability to deliver a soft presentation if the fish are skittish.

The benefits to a spinning reel are they're less finicky casting into the wind, and it's much easier to fish them deep such as drop shotting for smallmouth or jigging spoons for hybrids in 15-40 feet of water. I'll throw them up in the air a bit so as to get a faster vertical presentation. Also, you can generally keep the drag cranked down on spinning reels without the drag discs getting warped. It's best to back off the drag on most baitcasters when you're not using them to keep the drag smooth and even.

Shimano used to have a lock on the best baitcasters, but they lost market share when they moved manufacturing from Japan to China. People still pay a premium for the "Made in Japan" Curado's and Chronarch's. Right now the baitcasters I like most are the Abu Revo & Orra models, along with the Lew's Tournament MB. I also have several Silver Max reels and they work better than their price range suggests. I do find that the newer Max models are more finicky on setting the spool tension knob to avoid backlash. The older round Max reels had a high speed line guide that would sort of cross wrap the line around the spool, which reduced line capacity but greatly reduced backlashes. I have a Black Max 1600 on a ML 6'10" Falcon rod that will cast even light crankbaits far into the wind without backlashing.

The trick is to rely more on the tension knob than the magnetic drag, except when casting into the wind. You'll find that with lighter lures tend to develop a backlash more in the middle of the cast, while heavier lures will do it near the beginning. That's because of when the rod tip recoils before coming to rest. By timing when your thumb finesses the spool speed, you'll have more line control. A lot of users only apply their thumb to control the lure presentation, but using it to control line speed will save you from a lot of backlashes.

Hope this helps and good luck! :)

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
It took me 2 to 3 years to get use to them. I use them mainly for bass fishing. The last one I bought was probably five years ago. Some are ten years old I am still using. I have no clue on the current models of what is good or bad. I use my spinning reels for crappie, perch and trout fishing.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I started with a #9 Penn on a solid fiberglass rod that was very stiff. Catfish.
I could cast with the best of the guys that had 7000 and 7500 abu reels.

Pin point accuracy.. that comes with learning your rig.
Kind of like drifting your car around corners ..you just need practice.

For reliability i go with spinning reel.
I use this line in all my stuff now. No memory.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...^c-plaid^51320962143-sku^019329911-adType^PLA

Of course I do not bass fish much. When I do the "old" zebco 33 or smaller spinning reels get used.

I do have a 6500C3 I took both of the brakes out .. It slowed the cast down way too much for my liking in stock form.. and even leaving 1 puck it was still not as good as my #9 Penn.

I almost purchased an expensive bait caster.. buddy has one that was nearly 300 bucks.. He tournament fishes for bass.

That reel would toss the lightest jig like a pro...Then i got to thinking.. Do I need to spend that kind of money to catch a stupid fish.
NO. So back to my cheap stuff.

I gave $20 for my 6500C3..
Or I would not own it.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I got Bravefisherman braid from amazon and am very happy with it. $25 for 1000 yards is hard to beat.

Do you typically use heavier line on baitcaster reels? Most of my spinning reels have 6-10 pound line at the most (excluding catfish rigs)

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I got Bravefisherman braid from amazon and am very happy with it. $25 for 1000 yards is hard to beat.

Do you typically use heavier line on baitcaster reels? Most of my spinning reels have 6-10 pound line at the most (excluding catfish rigs)

Smallest I use on baitcasters is 12#. As a matter of fact, my favorite crankbait line is 12# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon (just don't use it for topwater unless you like frustration). Casts a country mile and it's surprisingly hard to break. Just FYI, mono has about 20% stretch, Fluoro about 6-7% and braid 0%.

Mitch Rapp

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Smallest I use on baitcasters is 12#. As a matter of fact, my favorite crankbait line is 12# Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon (just don't use it for topwater unless you like frustration). Casts a country mile and it's surprisingly hard to break. Just FYI, mono has about 20% stretch, Fluoro about 6-7% and braid 0%.
How does fluro hold up compared to mono? I have heard it gets brittle fast?

tbowe91

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
When I first started bass fishing with bait casters, I would use 14 to 17 pound line. I now mainly use 12 pound test line. I mainly fish open water with little brush or timber. If I was back fishing heavy timber water, I would probably go back up in the weight.

Latest posts

Top Bottom