Baker Hughes plans to close Broken Arrow location

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlugSlinger

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Baker Hughes announced 2023 closure of Broken Arrow site

BROKEN ARROW, Okla. — One of the world’s largest oil field service companies, Baker Hughes, says they plan to close their site in Broken Arrow.

That location employs around 170 people. Baker Hughes says they will not close until 2023.

In a brief statement the Houston-based company said:

“We regularly review our operational footprint due to changing market conditions and customer demands, and the current environment requires us to restructure parts of our business. As part of our strategy to transform our operations, we intend to close the Broken Arrow site, and manufacturing will be transferred to other locations within the company. This decision was not taken lightly, and we make it with the utmost sensitivity to how it affects our employees, customers and communities. We remain focused on right-sizing our footprint for our customer base and market conditions through this challenging time.”

The company provides the oil and gas industry with products and services for oil drilling, formation evaluation, completion, production and reservoir consulting. Baker Hughes currently has 756 oil rigs in the United States.

The company did not elaborate on a date for this closure or what would be done with the building near S 145th E Ave. and the Broken Arrow Expressway.

Poke78

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
BA/Tulsa has been down this path before with this company when B-H was being acquired several years ago. Lots of work was done on incentives and workforce to keep the plant. This is a former client so I won't go into any details beyond what's out there in the public. The skill level of the workforce is top-notch because they manufacture some very high-value downhole equipment that uses very expensive specialized metals.

Snapshot2022

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
BA/Tulsa has been down this path before with this company when B-H was being acquired several years ago. Lots of work was done on incentives and workforce to keep the plant. This is a former client so I won't go into any details beyond what's out there in the public. The skill level of the workforce is top-notch because they manufacture some very high-value downhole equipment that uses very expensive specialized metals.
I worked at this BH plant in around 1982 was hired as a Research Engineer working on their sub surface safety valves, really enjoyed the many challenges using exotic materials to withstand 600 degrees F Temp when valve must operate when downhole.
Really sorry to hear the BA plant closing in 23.
Ivan Hersh

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I worked at this BH plant in around 1982 was hired as a Research Engineer working on their sub surface safety valves, really enjoyed the many challenges using exotic materials to withstand 600 degrees F Temp when valve must operate when downhole.
Really sorry to hear the BA plant closing in 23.
Ivan Hersh
That's about when they opened this branch isn't it?

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I learned a long time ago that if you plan on making a career with Baker Hughes, you need to plan on moving.

They bought the company I worked for and move the plant to Houston. There was no real reason, we were in a central location and owned the real estate which was very nice. We had a bunch of quite large equipment (think CNC slant bed lathes with 100 HP motors and large CNC mills to match) that were difficult, slow and expensive to relocate. We did a lot of very unconventional machining (made steerable drilling tools for horizontal drilling) and had a trained workforce to do it. EVERYTHING was metric. Blueprints, programming, measuring tools, everything. There was just no compelling reason for the move from a manufacturing perspective. They did it anyway.

They made me a pretty damn decent offer to relocate with them to include selling my house and buying another in Houston for me. After seeing Houston I decided there wasn't a compelling reason for me to in Houston.
:talk2hand:
Several of the longer term people (like myself) went with them. After their 1 year relocation agreement was up all but one left the company for other jobs. I loved that job and the people I worked with, I'm pretty sure we all did. We had a great thing going and I would probably still be there had they not packed it all up. The funny thing about it was that they were unable to sell that very nice OKC property for a very long time. Years...

Latest posts

Top Bottom