Bank carry

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Ok now I'm going to throw a curve ball....

What if you're carrying and the guy beside you pulls out a gun a demands money?

1: Do you sit back and let him do his thing?

2: pull your gun and try to order him to surrender his weapon?

3: wait quietly up and until he fires at someone and then pull your weapon to return fire.

Be a good witness. Act only if there's an immediate threat to your life. I consider them shooting anyone to be an immediate threat to me, as I may be next.

I don't think I could stand by and watch them shoot someone else and do nothing. It would depend on the situation, whether they looked like they might really be willing to shoot someone or were on the verge of doing so. If it's a low-key situation, I might let it play out, hoping they'll take the money and go. But if Cindy the bank teller gets shot, and Cindy's 9-y/o daughter finds out you could have stopped the bad man and you didn't and now her mommy is dead and asks you why, what are you going to say?

Minding your own is one thing, but refusing to step up and help police this once-great nation is part of what has allowed the criminal element to thrive and the country to slide. :(

Like they teach women in self-defense classes, yell "Fire!" not "Rape!" That's a sad indictment of our society.

Pretty sure Jerry isn't saying he wouldn't react if shots start flying at anyone other than himself. :fullauto: If the place I work ever gets hijacked I would hope He is actually in the store.

No, but I'm asking, do you think you could sit by without doing anything at all? And if you judged it wrong and little Susie ends up an orphan because you wanted to stay out of it?

Yes, stepping up to the plate carries an inherent risk. I'm not saying I would or would not, but... it's not a simple scenario. These days, any crime can turn into a mass shooting at the drop of a hat. If someone has a gun out and is threatening people, then I pretty well accept that as a real threat.

The reason you don't pull out your whammy and put a cap in his ass is because he may not be alone.

The person standing behind you in line may be the robbers partner. You shoot the robber, you get shot.

This is why GTG says to sit back and assess the situation until the SHTF, then its all guns ablaze.

Bank robbers rarely shoot the bank tellers as they have instructions to comply and hand over the cash.

They comply, the robber leaves the bank, and the situation is over. The FBI takes over at that time.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, I know the Arvest on Garnett south of 41st (tulsa) has a sign that says no 'open carry'. I just assumed it would be a company policy. good to know. thanks.

The sign USED to read that way; go give it a good look again. It's "No OPEN carry".

I checked mine once again yesterday... my local Arvest prohibits all weapons.

The reason you don't pull out your whammy and put a cap in his ass is because he may not be alone.

The person standing behind you in line may be the robbers partner. You shoot the robber, you get shot.

This is why GTG says to sit back and assess the situation until the SHTF, then its all guns ablaze.

Bank robbers rarely shoot the bank tellers as they have instructions to comply and hand over the cash.

They comply, the robber leaves the bank, and the situation is over. The FBI takes over at that time.

I agree... anytime you decide you need to intervene in any situation you have to be aware of that, and you know you're taking that risk. But again, if things look to be getting out of hand (even before someone gets shot), I would be seriously considering it. If that gun is getting waved around at simple bystanders and threats are being made, then I am going to take the threat seriously.

Anyways, as for me, I seldom, if ever, enter a bank anymore.

Until one of you jackanapes here on the forum has something I want to buy and won't take PayPal or a damn check! Then I have to go get a money order! :P

gerhard1

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If all the guy (or gal) wants is the money, fine; I won't intervene. About the only time I would think about doing something is if there is a shot and someone is about to get hurt.

The way I see it is the money is insured. It can be replaced. Lives can't.

ridurall

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I carry in my bank all the time. They have a "no weapons" sign on the front door but I carried there before they put the sign up and they know I carry and are not worried about it. In fact I asked the same question on this forum several years ago right after they put the sign up. At that time I used the banks name and the next time I was in the bank the manager called me over to his office. I kind of felt like I was getting sent to the principal's office but he was not disturbed but told me that whenever their name shows up in a forum they get notified. In fact so do I was the owner of RID Pest Control. I guess the bank president called him to ask about me and having been a loyal customer for the past 23 years they did not have a problem with me carrying. Their point behind the "no weapons" sign is to discourage people having a shoot out in the bank. They want the bad guys out as quickly as possible. I told them that they only way I would pull my gun without my life being threatened. He said ok just don't use the banks name while online.

Latest posts

Top Bottom