Barges

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They say they had fertilizer on the barges, what will that do to the river downstream? Will it dilute and be nullified or create many problems?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
They say they had fertilizer on the barges, what will that do to the river downstream? Will it dilute and be nullified or create many problems?

They claim it’s non toxic, but I expect it’ll at least cause a significant drop in DO wherever it settles, as well as an algae bloom. Just depends on how fast and how long the water flows over the settled material.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

There is such a massive amount of water moving through there it will completely dilute it so much it wouldn't show up in a water sample.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I was seeing that argument on FB. I was asking why they didn't just sink them in a shallow spot and recover later. They were citing an "ecological disaster". I was like, "OK lets just do nothing and add biblical flood to the deal".

Glad the dam held up. I figured it would, but 3800 tons crashing into things ain't ever good.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I seen that kind of bubbled the water on the other side.

Buddy was fishing there one summer a few years ago below the dam.
Only him there fishing and a Guy that worked the dam asked if he was about finished fishing.
He said yea about 10 more minutes and I am leaving.

He asked why.
He was told the shad population was so bad it was messing with the turbins and they were going to kill off some shad.
As he was leaving they added something to the water that turned it all blue and shad were dying and going down stream.

That story from him bothers me to this day.
What other fish did it kill.
Is this why we see a lot of dead fish in a river somewhere and no explanation on the death.

I do not think the fertilizer will hurt anything at least no more than the blue chemical that killed the shad.

Latest posts

Top Bottom