Barrel break-in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droff

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a few discussions on the subject but what if you've got a rifle that was purchased used and little to no info on number of rounds through it?
I picked up a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor and I don't think it's had much use but was likely under a hundred rounds.
Need to be concerned at this point with break-in or just go with it as is?
Thanks.

SiGArmed

Deplorable
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Think if I was worried about it I'd just go through the process and mitigate anything done before hand. Or just go with it.

magna19

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Clean good and check accuracy. Shoot a few 3 - 5 shot groups and see if it gets better or worse after some rounds. Go from there.

edl

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
hoppes once. dry it. shoot it. over cleaning is harder on the barrel than shooting. don’t remove copper fouling until accuracy starts to degrade. if you remove it all, it will be redeposited when you shoot next. most of this is from Frank “Lowlight” owner of snipers hide.

diggler1833

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Used rifles get cleaned thoroughly here before shooting. It may not have a ton of rounds through it, but you can't guarantee that. No point in spending all that money to get frustrated at the accuracy right off the bat because the bore is fouled out and you didn't know that.

Regarding a break-in; I wouldn't worry about it after cleaning. A thorough cleaning might actually give you a bit better idea on the round count guess too.

It was mentioned above that you shouldn't clean copper fouling until accuracy goes to pot. I would argue that this mindset - while popular a couple years ago - is starting to fade away due to accuracy degrading when the shooter least wants or expects it... as well as shooters running into pressure issues. Don't forget things like the dreaded carbon ring that can really screw with your pressure and velocity (6.5 Creedmoor is a cartridge where this can occur)...waiting those few hundred extra rounds to ensure that the deposited copper is thicker than a Kardashian butt isn't going to help that carbon ring either.

Cleaning routines are even more individualized than break-in routines. Ask 50 shooters their preferences and you'll likely get 45 different answers. I'm not going to say that there is an absolute correct way to do it...but there are a few ways that are less helpful than more helpful.

Best of luck with your new-to-you rifle.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen a few discussions on the subject but what if you've got a rifle that was purchased used and little to no info on number of rounds through it?
I picked up a Ruger American 6.5 Creedmoor and I don't think it's had much use but was likely under a hundred rounds.
Need to be concerned at this point with break-in or just go with it as is?
Thanks.
My RA in 6.5 CM shot under an inch with a virgin barrel using Lapua 108 grain Scenars.
No break in required.